what first? external insulation OR new windows?

Gordanus

what first? external insulation OR new windows? is the question. I'm looking at external insulation, but really I need new windows in the front of the house. The back is fine, all those are new. So - should I forget about the insulation until the windows are replaced?

Gordanus said:
So - should I forget about the insulation until the windows are replaced?
I'm no expert - and i'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong - but swapping out the windows while also sorting out ext. insulation presents an opportunity. It probably means that insulation around the windows can be achieved easier.

what first? external insulation OR new windows? is the question. I'm looking at external insulation, but really I need new windows in the front of the house. The back is fine, all those are new. So - should I forget about the insulation until the windows are replaced?

Well, I'm guessing form the "OR" in your question you can't do both (which would result in some savings, as you can change your window sils at the same time, which is part of the external insulation). I would (and did, in my own case) opt for changing the windows first. Badly insulated or draughty windows will cool a room down very quickly.

No, the "OR" is really just my ignorance. Should have read "and/or". What's the best way to go about it, as there'll probably be two companies involved?

100%, if at all possible, do both these jobs together. The window installation and surrounds will be key in achieving the best possible insulation values.

If you do them at different times, the external insulation crowd will have to compromise to work around the windows.

Window company & insulation company will need to work together as windows will need to have a much heavier frame than normal to allow for the insulation to return at the reveal.

Back