What % equities should I have in my portfolio?

sinbad75

Married couple late forties.
Mortgage paid off and pensions maxed out. 300k in state savings.
Have 3 k per month to invest.
Want to open 2 bare trusts for kids, 500 euro per month each, high risk.
Want to open an investment account 2k per month for us. 60:40

I have seen Irish life and standard life mentioned here, but I don’t know how to actually invest with them. Do I need to see a broker? Who pays broker fees?
I want passive funds, with charges below 1.5% and 100% allocated.

no idea how to proceed, any help much appreciated

Could you tell us the current value of your pensions and how they are invested?

I have a dB pension worth 8k per annum plus AVCs of 46k from 2013. I also have a D.C. pension currently worth 140. 10% employer contribution, 25 % my contribution. Spouse has a D.C. pension worth 450k, 15% employer contribution, 25% AVCs. Salaries 70 and 90k respectively.

Thanks.

In your shoes, I would invest your (tax-deferred) DC pension pots 100% in global equity funds and continue to invest your after-tax savings in (tax-exempt) State savings products.

It’s important to consider your asset allocation across all accounts (tax-deferred pensions and after-tax savings). The above would roughly achieve your desired 60/40 allocation between equities and fixed income investments (on a tax adjusted basis).

I don’t see the point in investing after-tax money in expensive, taxable bond funds (particularly where the yield to maturity is currently negligible or negative).

Hope that helps.

Circumstances have changed somewhat. I am 47 now, and I want to leave my job (70k salary) and go part time. Spouse (90k salary) is happy to work for 3 more years.
Have 261k in state savings
100 k in Zurich (equities)
DC pension 190k (equities)
Db pension of 8.5k per annum plus 80k avcs.
Spouse has dc pension of 580k.

Spouse wants to retire at 51, currently maxing out avcs, so hope to have 800k in pension by then.

Am I mad to think that we could have 60k per annum as follows:
Draw down spouse 200k in 3 years time, add to state and Zurich, and also take 13k per year to avail of class S. At 61, draw down my dc 35% lump sum, and 4% from each pot. At 66 2 state pensions, db pension and avcs and 4% from each dc.

No mortgage or loans.
I really want to do change to a less stress job, and I think this plan is okay, but the thread on the 1.25m arf is making me think old be mad to try this. I’d be be very grateful for opinions

Back