What does this error message mean?

S

Slash

I plugged a memory stick (or Jump Drive, as the manufacturer calls it) into the USB port. The following message came up:

"The USB mass storage device will function at reduced speed. You must add a Hi Speed USB controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance."

The device does seem to be functioning properly, in that I can store and retrieve files. But is it likely to do any damage, or is there a way to add a Hi Speed USB controller, whatever that is.

Thanks.

It means that you have a USB 2.0 capable device but only a USB 1.1 port/hub/cable which means that the speed of the device will be limited to c. 12Mbps instead of the top speed of c. 400Mbps that it is capable of. Everything will work fine, just slower than it could do. See this FAQ. You can upgrade most PCs to USB 2.0 by installing an expansion card costing c. Eur 20 upwards. I posted recently about buying a combined USB 2.0/FireWire PCI expansion card for the equivalent of Eur 30 (including VAT and delivery) from [broken link removed] and also that [broken link removed] sell a combined USB 2.0/FireWire/10-100 Ethernet PCI card for Eur 50 (including VAT, local purchase) at the moment.

Thank you.

In case anyone is interested, it's a 128mb device that i got in Dixon's in Gatwick airport for £20.00.

For a 128MB flash drive there's probably no overriding need to upgrad to USB 2.0 for the added speed. However if/when you start using USB 2.0 enabled devices with higher capacity (e.g. hard disk based MP3 player etc.) it might be worth looking at upgrading the PC.

Back