What documents should I get on sale closing

Dagny Juel

Apologies if these are very basic questions but I'm a first time buyer and find the process a bit daunting. Getting any information from my solicitor is like pulling teeth! A few weeks ago I closed the sale of my house and other than the keys, I have not received any documents etc. I know it takes a while for the solicitor to register everything and that the deeds will be held by the bank but should I not get anything? We told the solicitor that we want to have a joint tenancy but he was very casual about the whole thing so I'm not even sure if he took note of it. How do I check this? Is the type of tenancy supposed to be on the deeds? Finally, I looked up online the BER cert for the house and the size of it is listed as over 20metres smaller than what was advertised. I asked the developer for plans with dimensions (it's a new house) but they said that this is not something that should be provided. Is that correct? Many thanks for any advice.

I think you mean the purchase of your house. Under section 130 of the Consumer Credit Act 1995, both your solicitor and yourself should receive a copy of the loan agreement and the mortgage deeds ( debenture ). It is an offence not to receive these documents in good time from the bank.

Back