What counts as a lodgement to a current account?

murphaph

Sounds like a silly question but I'm curious:
Some banks charge per lodgement. If a stranger lodges €1 in 1c amounts would that be considered 100 lodgements by the bank?

Are SEPA payments considered lodgements?

100 1c lodged 1c at a time is 100 lodgements. 100c lodged as €1 is 1 lodgement. AIB distinguish between lodgements and automated credits in my current account. If I go into a bank and lodge a cheque and/or cash, that is a lodgement at 30c cost to me. Whenever work/revenue refund!/wife transfer money into my account, that is an automated credit costing me 20c.

Last edited:
So I could "maliciously" lodge €1 to a BoI customer and cost them €28 in fees? Doesn't seem right to me! You could ruin someone by "giving" them €100!

So I could "maliciously" lodge €1 to a BoI customer and cost them €28 in fees? Doesn't seem right to me! You could ruin someone by "giving" them €100!

Maybe, depends on what BOI charge. Also how long would it take to lodge 100 1c coins in separate transactions?

I understand that Bank of Ireland will only accept bagged coins for lodgements now, so you couldn't lodge 1c, maliciously or otherwise!

Does an online transfer not count? I often make 1c transfers when testing a new account

Nothing to do with making lodgements, but the wife recently has a 1c balance in a PTSB 3 month term deposit account. Every 3 months she gets a paper statement and about 7 pages of terms and conditions. Anyway, she was getting tired of this, she couldn't withdraw the 1c online to her current account. When she was in the bank, she withdrew the 1c with the teller. Lo and behold, she still gets 1c statements. She gave up phoning about it.

Yeah, UB send a bloody letter out when I send 1c to my German accounts. What an utter waste of money.