What could constitute proof of residence in the country for five years?

FeuFollet

How I can prove that I have been a resident in the country for the last five years? I am getting some legal document and need to prove I have been living here all along.

I already provided a letter from my employer stating that I have been working full time in Dublin since 96 but that doesnt seem enough. After all I could commute from Belfast every day.

I am asked for utility bills but don't keep them after one or two years. Same for bank statements.

Any experience of this? Can I get copies of old bills? I assume they will cost an arm and a leg or won't be available at all. Or anything from polling station?

I am still routing through old papers with my address in hope but starting to run out of ideas.

What about Revenue documents (e.g. P60s, statements of tax credits etc.) or details of your listing on the electoral register?

Did you register with a doctor. ie. GP when you moved down? What about landlord/lady contracts.

Thanks to Clubman and Ophelia for your good ideas

P60s don't include address , however PAYE tax credit forms do. I will see if GP and landlord (no written contract) can write me letters; I will also try to get something out of the electoral register.

d2x2 said:
P60s don't include address
Does that matter? If you're getting a P60 then chances are that you're resident (at least in a tax sense)? Or maybe you mean that whatever documentation you need must have proof of your address?

I assume the reason I was asked for utility bills was to show address but am not actually sure.

I will send a copy of P60s as well, after all! Better show good will and give too much info than too little.

d2x2 said:
I will send a copy of P60s as well, after all! Better show good will and give too much info than too little.
Well, it depends on who this information is being sent to I would assume. I wouldn't divulge my salary/tax details to just anybody myself.

Yes, you are right and they will probably laugh at my salary. That's for an application to the Dept of Justice I will check with them beforehand.

Your bank should be able to provide historical statements, though they might well charge a fee.

RainyDay said:
Your bank should be able to provide historical statements, though they might well charge a fee.

More than likely I'd say. Check your bank's fees and charges schedule.

CCOVICH said:
More than likely I'd say. Check your bank's fees and charges schedule.
Yes - fair enough to levy a charge for this service on people who need additional statements rather than making do with the originals that they received. In particular, far better than spreading the charge across the full customer base.

ClubMan said:
Yes - fair enough to levy a charge for this service on people who need additional statements rather than making do with the originals that they received. In particular, far better than spreading the charge across the full customer base.

I don't think that my post suggested that I think this charge is unfair or a 'rip off' but I certainly don't.

I recommend that everyone keep statements for at least 3-5 years. Charges for copy statements are fairly 'high' so the best way to avoid them is to keep the originals:).

CCOVICH said:
I don't think that my post suggested that I think this charge is unfair or a 'rip off'
No - neither did I mention the term but I was just anticipating the usual knee-jerk accusations from some people (not you) that any such charges levied by financial institutions are somehow unjustified or even fall under the dreaded R-O heading... :)

Call me mean but the reason I posted here was that I didn't want to fork out for old bank statements.

Just wanted to update you on this (for what it's worth)-
O2 will supply copies of old bills at no charge, even though pre-2003 statement are archived. Hats off to O2, who have never disappointed me in all those years!

d2x2 said:
Call me mean but the reason I posted here was that I didn't want to fork out for old bank statements.
It might have saved some time/effort if you had explained this up-front.

Back