What condition should I expect at snagging?

albob

Hi all,
I am hoping to be called to snag my house in the next few weeks. I have an engineer hired for this but I would like to learn the ropes myself so I was wondering what condition I should expect the house to be in. I believe it should be "brushed" clean. However
1) Should the eclectricity be connected?
2) Should the gas be connected?
3) Should the water be connected?
4) Should standard electrical items be fitted (for example electric shower is standard in house. Should this be in working order at snagging stage?)
5) Is there a standard thickness insulation in the attic should be. Looking ath Dept of Environment website its difficult to find any info without read loads of docs!

Also I have a worry over the shower tray. I had asked the plumber to use a tray with an upstand rather than the regular tray. He agreed but due to a mix up on his part he fitted the standard. When this was pointed out to him he had no probem removing it and putting in the tray with the upstand. However to do this, he had to remove the palster board on one side od the tray (about 8 inches above the floor.) This left a gap between the shower tray and where the plaster board for the wall started. I asked the tilers not to tile until this was filled in. Alas they did not listen and tiled anyway. My worry is that if the group on these tiles cracked water could easly get in. The tilers are saying that it is not there probelm, that they used flexible grout and that its the site foremans problem. Anyway sorry for the long ramble and I know you might say that i should just consult me engineer....but for my own sake....I assume that this gap needs to be filled? I have a fear my engineer will fob it off as being ok!
Thanks
Albob

When we done the snagging, everything was pretty much finished. Only minor stuff, like small holes in the plaster skim and one of the doors opened the wrong way.

Electricity etc were all connected, otherwise we wouldn't be able to check stuff like lights and showers.

Remember, once you pay over the money, the chances of getting anything else fixed is slim to non-existant. Make sure you're 100% happy.

Yes, every fixture should be completed and working. Bring a bulb, test every light. Bring a hair dryer, test every socket. Run every tap, flush every toilet. As above, it's your last chance to get any thing fixed. Afterwards, it's the DIY manual!

We snagged our house a few months ago and the electricity wasn't connected. We had to connect it in our names, couldn't get it connected until we got a cert from the foreman, couldn't get the cert until we snagged. Apparently, if the developer gets the electricity connected in their name, they then have to pay to have it changed over to the purchaser's name. That's what we were told anyway.

Thanks for the replys so far. Yeah I was thinking that the elec/gas etc should be connected. I was talking to someone recently who said that they had to get the ESB etc connected in theor names about a month before snagging. The builders then used the heating to dry out the house. On final closure my friends solicitor deducted the amounts on the ESB and gas bills from what was owed to the builders. I'd be surprised if this was the norm!

However to do this, he had to remove the palster board on one side od the tray (about 8 inches above the floor.)

I might stand corrected on this but should the "shower area" not be lined with marine plywood?

I might stand corrected on this but should the "shower area" not be lined with marine plywood?

Nope, that would be most unusual for a standard shower installation. You might use that approach in a wet room type situation.
Leo