What Company Car Diesel would you choose?

R

r2d2

The choice is as follows....

Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci 125 Zetec

VW Passat 1.9Tdi Comfortline

Volvo S40 2.0d

All four door saloons...

Which would you go for and why?

r2d2

Definitely Volvo.

It'll be less common than the other two, it looks stylish, its more powerful (136 ps) and should be a better drive because of the extra power and a good chassis.

The cynical will point out that its based on the Focus and is therefore a lesser cousin to the Mondeo but I think that if you had to walk across a car park to any of those cars you'd probably like the look of the Volvo best. The interior is well finished too.

The Mondeo would be my second choice because its a brand new design and is getting great reviews.

Have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk and read reviews of all three. There's no substitute for a proper test drive though. If you've family and need a lot of interior space then the Volvo will be the smallest of the three inside and that might need to be factored in to your decision.

Is the recommendation for the diesel or is it equal for the petrol flexifuel model too>?

Agree with r2d2 - diesel has a lot more torque (twice that of the flexifuel at half the revs) - which will give a more effortless drive and quicker (and hopefully safer) overtaking. Modern diesels are very refined so there's very little downside. The flexifuel models will use up to 30% more fuel when running on E85 which offsets the 30% lower cost of the fuel. The original question was about a company car but if you were buying privately there's currently a 7k euro difference in price between the flexifuel and the 2.0 diesel which would be worth considering. After the VRT changes in July the difference will narrow and if performance is not an issue, the 1.6 diesel might be a better choice than the flexifuel for similar money from a depreciation perspective.

So flexifuel is a bad buy? I cuirrently have a VW golf 1.4 so i was hoping a 1.8 flexi Volvo would be better?

Back