What colour kitchen tiles?

gnubbit

Hi,

I've got to go tile shopping for my kitchen and bathroom. I'm fairly certain what I want for the bathroom (plain white) but not sure at all for the kitchen.

It's a small L-shaped kitchen and will have white cupboards. The appliances will be stainless steel and I'll have some stainless steel hanging rails/shelves with S-hooks attached. There is a large window so the kitchen is bright although it only gets sun in the morning (faces north east). The surface to be tiled is about 3 square metres and will cover the gap between base and wall units, behind the sink and half way up the small bit of wall behind/beside cooker.

Initially I'd been thinking of some cheap and cheerful white tiles but would it look a bit bland and washed out? I thought maybe I could paint the non-tiled bits of wall to add a bit of interest, maybe a blue or sage green. I've also seen some nice effects with several different colours but not sure how to achieve a nice layout.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to say the worktops are wooden, beech or birch, I forget which.

Wall/splashback tiles. Am going with cheap vinyl for the floor (haven't picked it but something fairly neutral that will fit in with everything else).

The trend at the moment seems to be not to tile between kitchen units. You can paint with kitchen paint (easy wipe) and easily change the colour after a while if you don't like it. I did it myself even though i was unsure and am much happier with it, there is a much less cluttered feel. Its cheaper too!

u didnt say waht colour the floor is, but a suggestion would be 3-4 colour tiles, depending on your colour scheme, an aqua scheme would be nice if it matched and would brighten the white, Black and red perhaps for a more modern twist with the silver appliances. my friend had a similar situation with white units and he had 4 colour tiles, from dark chocolate to beige and he had dark wooden binds it matched up beautifully. just a suggestion! best of luck

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Rory, I can be a fickle creature (only in interior design though :)) so the idea of painting and being able to change the colour appeals to me. I'll need to get the walls skimmed if I'm not tiling so there'll still be some expense.

On the other hand, I like Blossy's idea of using a few different colours. If I went that way, what kind of pattern/layout would you suggest?

well my friend did slanted, diagonal lines, was really impressive, the lady in which ever tile store recommended 6 colours but he thought that was too busy for a small kitchen. but the four really worked well, with the four colours he is not tied to his smaller appliances or even the wood in the kitchen , his chopping board say is a darker wood and it doesnt throw out the effect.

Back