What car to choose.

TonyD

Hey folks,

As my tax is due to expire and NCT due and service is due, I was thinking it best maybe to upgrade the car. And as the recession is in full force bargaining for a good price on a car is very possibly, so I see this as an ideal time to purchase.

My budget is circa 12k but dont necessarily require to spend all of this, probably prefer less but not essential.

I have a Ford Fiesta, so will probably stick with Ford, thorn between the Focus or remain with the Fiesta and cant decide, generally Focus is on sale for €11k to €13k probably get one for €11k that suits me I'd say. The Fiesta is on sale from €10k to €11k, probably get one for €9.5-€10k.

I know this prices can be alot lower but my pricing is based on milage, looks, engine size and particular model. I like both and can afford both but am having a decision to choose.

Any ideas that would sway me or you?

It depends on your needs. Both are good cars.

I drive a 1.6L diesel Focus (2006). It's great to drive, reliable, good fuel economy, roomy and comfortable. Bad things are drum brakes in the rear, position of handbrake (on passenger side) and no other real complaints.

Do you need the extra size and engine capacity of a Focus over a Fiesta?

If you can (easily) afford both, even if only for driving experience/comfort and extra space, it would be a no-brainer for me - Focus.

Fastest growing segment of cars at the minute is the small bracket (ie, Fiesta/Yaris/Polo) and this will be easier to sell on when you eventually do go to trade it on. People are going smaller.

That said, there are great deals to be had on Focus's at the minute because there is simply an oversupply of 06/07 models and I know of a couple of places are not taking them in.

If you're buying a second hand fiesta remeber that there is a new one now out for 2009 so yours will be an older model come resale time.

You should keep an eye out for Finance Repo cars on Merlin. A few weeks ago I say a 2008 Fiesta go for 8kish with only 5k miles or so, not half bad!

However, I'd go with the Focus if I were you just merely for size and the fact that it costs a lot more in the first place and is just a nicer/bigger car overall.

Focus all the way. Ok so you might pay a little more but you have the budget and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised what you can get it for once you start haggling.

What sort of price is a 1.6 Diesel 06/07 focus?