What Car Should I Ask The Boss For Friday?

folder

Hello,

I have my appraisal on Friday and need to decide which car to tell the boss I want(within reason).

My Counterparts had 2004 cars and were given 2008 new shape A4's 4 weeks ago. I still have a 2005 Passat so didnt qualify for an upgrade just then.

Most of them are with the company minimum 12 years(salesmen) and Im only in the door over a year. Apparently they fought hard to get those Audi's in 2004 and turn their noses up at the idea of me getting one as well.

Based on a probably budget of around €49,000ish what car should I aim for?

Diesel, reliable company car capable of lasting the 3 years of hard driving.

The company recently bought 5 A4's, a Focus Estate and Passat Estate, Vito vans, Transit Connects and Hiace's so they are obviously open to makes and models.

I have my eyes set on an IS220D Exec €46k but Im not up on luxury end cars so need some advice on whether thats a good idea and what people think of any other options.

Any advice helpful.

Apparently they fought hard to get those Audi's in 2004 and turn their noses up at the idea of me getting one as well.

Fought hard? Surely you mean sold hard. If you are in the door only 1 year, you would surely want to be the Gordon Gecko of the sales reps to aspire to a high end car like an Audi or Lexus. But if you are, good luck t'ya! Both are cracking cars.

We are not all making the same money but Im making more than the guy who was in my position.

They had Avensis prior to the Audi A4 in 2004. I was told off the record that If I was given the A4 when I started they would be looking for even better cars when it came to replacing. Thats one of the reasons I was not given the A4 along with the fact they worked to targets to earn the right to drive the A4.

They only had to achieve sales of 1.2m. Most of them do around 2m per annum anyway. So, they didnt really have to sell hard.

Please dont fall foul of going down the route of thinking Im a snob for wanting a luxury car. If I can achieve the targets of my colleagues then I deserve the same rewards.

What about aiming for a top of the range passat rather than an audi. Get the 170 bhp 2.0tdi highline.
Use the budget to get all extras without paying for the badge.

Against that the new tyoe A4 looks really nice. I love those leds in the headlights.

My other half is in the same position as you, though has slightly less to spend. Think was looking at Volvo S.40(not sure which model, but diesel), went to a dealers told him about €36ish, well specd. Denied prices would be dropping after 1st July.

He would prefer BMW 318or 320d. Read an article that BMW have just announced about a seven grand drop on these from 1st July(as expected) which will see them start after 1 July about €38ish for a 318d and €42ish for a 320d. Thats for base model and any toys will be extra.

Also company will be happy as both fall into the A Category for Road Tax at €100 per year.

Hmm Bmw. I doubt most companies relish the thought of BMW as company cars. I say that because you do not see many of them as company cars.

I looked at the price of the BMW 3 series M class Diesel and it was coming in around 45k but I doubt they will spring for one.

Frank, about the idea of highline Passat. They are all good and well but the company does not spring for the extras so if I want HID or leather I have to pay. They will only pay for a mid sized diesel engine car. If I was given a 2.0 tdi then anything on top of that price is up to me to pay for.

This is why its better to milk them for as much as possible and put the extras onto the best car.

I thought about the Volvo S40 but i was told by the guys at work it was not going to happen. Both directors(my direct boss's) hate Volvos so thats a dead end.

Thanks MandaC, that ammunition about the VRT will come in handy on Friday. I knew a change was on the horizon but nothing like that.

As long as I keep heading towards a target I should get a nice car. I knocked €48,000 off the end of year 1.2m today so if I have a good week like today then by Friday I should be into the good books for a nice car.

I even considered the A3 earlier but only for about 5 minutes. A bit girly, I think.