What are the Green Boxes Outside Housing Estates?

MandaC

Does anyone or has anyone seen the green metal boxes outside some housing estates. I saw some in Clondalkin yesterday. They are new and only there a few weeks. They look a bit like post boxes but there is no gap to put in the letters.

I also noted that one has been upscuttled already as they appear to be bolted rather than cemented into the ground.

Just curious.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time now because they have appeared randomly around housing estates in Tallaght in singles generally. When I asked a few people about them they couldn't confirm what they were for but did point out that they were close to one off builds usually in side gardens.

They are for the post, I have seen the postperson removing post from them. The van fills them up in the morning and the postperson on a bike picks it up and delivers it.

The things you notice when you are on maternity leave....

That would make sense allright because there was a sorting office in Clondalkin which recently moved further away and since then the green boxes have appeared in the housing estates near the ex sorting office.

Thanks guys.