What adds value to a property?

Round Tuit

Hopefully this is correct forum. I’m just asking what work would add value to a property. In my case I’m talking about a 2 bed apt in D15 area. There are plenty of other apts in this area. If you were deciding what to do up/add to it what are people’s thoughts on what would also add resale value when the time comes. In my case the property is own door end of terrace with a garden (so clearly I have to do that up). EG - is there much point in changing all the pine skirting boards etc just because I don’t like them much - and so on.

Plenty of storage, white bathroom suites, wooden floors.....just thinking of a few offhand.
Wouldn't replace skirting boards, why not paint them white.

We are in the process of doing this at the moment in order to sell our 3 bed semi. We are putting laminate flooring in 2 bedrooms, painting the house outside and in to give it a fresh new look, all neutral colours I must add (going on advice from our auctioneer friend) declutter declutter declutter!! Am also tidying up gardens front and back and also am putting a few flowers outside. Also when your property is on the market, make sure all the curtains are open when you go to work!! Surprising how many people drive by to have a look!

If your'e actively trying to sell, here's a few points:

1.Declutter and depersonalise-People need to be able to see their stuff in a house
2.Neutral, but warm colour schemes throughout-get rid of the deep pink/purple/whatever colour scheme in little johhnny's bedroom-cream colours usually do the trick
3.Give every room in the house/apt. a purpose-put mirrors on the wall of a small room togive greater sense of space
4.If you have a garden,definitley tidy it up,put down plants in season, or failing that, a few heathers for year round colour
5.Rehouse the pet, and get rid of any doggy smells!
6.On the day of viewing,light a fire, and some vanilla scented candles will do-the smell of freshly baked bread(mmm..foccacia..!)does smack a little of overkill! also, keep all the lights on,esp during the winter months
Best of luck!

daithi

They reckon most important part of house is kitchen so make sure kitchen is clean and clutter free and modern looking.

Kitchens and bathrooms tend to be the most costly when updating/renovating once you have these looking good then the rest should just be a lick of paint or maybe a few new floor coverings.
Don't forget to have the place smelling nice and fresh when viewers arrive
the smell of a family pet or food odour can be very off putting.
Make sure all windows/doors are clean and that outside gardens are well presented/tidy.

Good luck ;)

Back