What’s the best type of insulation?

August

We are currently receiving a number of quotes from timber frame companies for our new build. Each company has come back with different types of insulation and to be quite honest where at a loss. If we won the lotto in the morning (we live in hope…) what type of insulation should we look at to give us the best u value?

take each type and google it. Each type will give a spec. sheet eg. quinntherm insulations etc. Your final U-value is dependant on the full make up of the wall not just the insulation.

currently polyisocyanurate is the best stable material to use.....
ie 100mm of this roughly equates to 300mm fibreglass insulation.....
however timberframe companies tend to use pack in quilted insulation....

if you won the lotto and were building a 'timber frame' system.. id advise you to check Kingspan TEK building system... this uses 140mm of this polyiso insulation.....

I Used hemp isulation in my timber frame as it has very good thermal insulation qualites. With Wood fibre in the internal walls for sound.

They are a good bit more expensive than fiberglass but will pay of in the long term. An example was last week I has a small water leak and if I had used fiberglass in the walls this would need to be replaced but the wood fibre will retain its insulation qualities.

Lastbuilders

There are other considerations also; while a polyurethane or polyisocyanurate product is great for heat insulation their acoustic properties are not as good as the rockwool or fibreglass products. That said I've seen the hemp product ("Thermohemp" is one) and if it were me (and I'd won the lotto!) I'd probably use it where possible. The point riased by Lastbuilders is very valid and I like the fact that this is a natural, "breathable" product which can also be easily disposed of at the end of its life. That said fibre glass has some environmental credentials in that a certain amount of glass cullet is used in its production.

the hemp product has another great trait, in that it absorbs carbon dioxide... some products claim to be able to absorb 5 tonnes of co2 in their lifetime for a standard house......

however, typically hemp must be used in great bulk to achieve good u values for the element of structure...... over 400mm to get a below 0.2 u value....

i wouldnt touch fibreglass... the companies will never guarantee more than a 20 year lifespan for it... it tends to sag in the cavity as well....

Just a question on Carpenters post - if You were asked which had the best Acoustic insulation properties - would the answer be the same - hoping to build Timberframe and am sold on the concept - my only nagging concern is sound

Thanks for the info lads. Will look into the Thermo hemp product. Now this is the follow up question ... Considering the fact that last night my numbers didn’t come up, how much extra is the thermahemp compared to fibreglass?

Demps like you I would also be interested in the acoustic insulation properties. I have spoken with cygum who have quoted me for their silent home package. When I get the chance later I will post their recommend insulation and internal soundbloc plasterboard options.

Demps,

Cygnum silent home package €4503

Package is a package designed to achieve levels of sound insulation higher than standard block construction. Impact sound on the mid floor (where applicable) is reduced by supplying an additional layer of 18mm OSB and a layer 18mm gyproc plank. Furthermore, airborne sound between the groyund floor and the 1st floor (where applicable) is reduced by supplying 100mm acoustic insulation for themed floor. Finally the standard 12.5mm plasterboard is replaced by 15mm Soundbloc board for internal walls. Soundbloc is a high density plasterboard frequently used in hotels and offices where noise reduction is essential.