Wet Car Carpet --- Help Plz

mrc

Hi Guys,

Over last couple of days I have noticed a damp smell in my ford Focus... Yesterday I decided to check it out and taught I had come acrosss the problem when I found the area where the spare wheel is kept in the boot soaked in water.... I completely dried it out yesterday and taught that had done the trick.

Today I noticed the carpet behind the drivers seat damp and smelly... I noticed a cut in the carpet and as soon as I placed my fingers through the car carpet I could feel the water under the carpet (on the inside of the bodywork)... It stank !!

Any ideas if the water under the spare and the smelly water under the carpet are connected ?

Any ideas what is causing this ?

Have left the passenger window open at the moment to rid the smell

Cheers,
MrC.

If your car is a hatch-back it could be the pipe feeding the rear wash-wipe has come loose or split.

If not or even as well, it could be a damaged / leaking door seal or boot-seal or perforated floor-pan or body-work.

Trying to locate the leak can be a pain, which may involve lifting the carpet and sound-proofing.

also check the seals on the rear light clusters,(common mondeo problem)not sure about focus though

water leak in passenger footwell is from front pollen filter cover passenger side and the water leak in the boot is probablt rear washer jet hose as suggested already or if the car is after 05 new model rear lamp locating screw is allowing water in

Cheers for the info guys.

Ford Jedi, it's an 04, bought it for my wife less than 6 months ago from a ford dealer in Dublin.

Gonna call them in the morning and book it in.. i just hope they'll agree to cover it under the 6 month guarantee

it wont be anything major pollen filter cover is less than 50 quid and rear pipe is just a case of popping out high level brake light to check pipe

Hi,
I've got a similar problem and have managed to find the cause..the pipe is split just in the area between the tailgate hinge and the brakelight "grommet".
Does anyone know how I can replace this pipe...does it go all the way inside the car to the front or is it joined somewhere abit nearer the rear?
I am an extremely rubbish DIY mechanic so would this this beyond a beginners capability?
Thanks

ted-paper, you might be lucky.

If this is the only split, go to Halfords or another motor store and buy a length of clear plastic window washer tubing and 2 push-in plastic connectors.

Snip the old pipe at either end of the split. Warm the end of the old pipe with hot water or a hair dryer and insert a plastic connector into each end of the cut pipe.

Cut a piece of the new tubing to a suitable length and repeating the warming trick, push it onto each of the plastic connectors - job done, Total time 10 minutes, total cost about a tenner.

To prevent this happening again, use good quality windscreen washer concentrate in the washer bottle, diluted as per instructions, to prevent the pipe freezing in cold weather which is a likely cause of the problem.

Before cutting the old pipe, get the motor factor guys to check that they have the correct diameter tubing and connectors - there are at least two different kinds.

To avoid losing the the cut ends of the old pipe into the body-work / trim, tie a bit of string around them or tape them in place.

Thanks Mathepac,
I'll give it a go this weekend..there could be more questions the following Monday:)

Hi,
Does anyone know what size the rear washer pipes are on a Focus...in Halfords they have 2 sizes - 2/8" and 3/16" - so I popped in my local Ford dealer but their computerised system doesn't carry that info.
Cheers

Back