Western Sicily

Bazoo

I know there are a couple of threads on Siciliy which I've read through and are helpful but most relate to Eastern Sicily. I'd be interested in views/recommendations for Western Sicily for about 5 nights. Will be staying 7 nights in total and plan on making maybe 2 of those nights a farmstay in Alcamo. Had considered Erice but it gets mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. Could anyone recommend a village/resort with a beach not too far from Trapani (where Ryanair fly to) and/or Marsala? Much appreciated.

Hi Bazoo,
I was in San Vito lo Capo about 4 years ago, and found it a very pleasant resort. It's a small town on a headland a little to the east and north of Trapani. Lots of Italians holiday there so there's plenty of decent accommodation and a good selection of restaurants and cafés. It has a very laid back feel to it - reminded me of Ireland (outside Dublin) back in the sixties or so. I speak Italian, so I'm not sure how much English people have, but a few of the younger people switched to English with me, because they wanted to practise.
We stayed in a place called Pensione Bougainvillea there, and found it very good. The owner's a lovely lady. But the rooms are small (though spotless) and it's the inland side of the town, so it would depend on what you're looking for.
Good luck in finding your perfect spot - hope this helps.

Just to qualify: I was there in mid-September, it occurs to me just now that San Vito might not feel quite so laidback in high season. But then again everywhere in Italy tends to be hectic in July and August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back