Western Australia Ideas

Hanners

Hi,

I'm heading to Oz next April and want to drive up the coast from Perth for about 10 days. Does anyone have any suggestions of unmissable places or things to avoid? I've been in Perth before so the citys not a priority more up towards Monkey Mia.

Cheers
Hanners

You just missed the Down Under expo in the RDS weekend :( You could meet your ancestors by visiting [broken link removed] if that lights your pipe. Spend some time on the WA tourism site.

Lots to do around Perth. Plan a day trip to Rottnest Island, would be great to spend a night there also if you have time.

Do a wineries tour of the swan valley, that's excellent.

If you're into diving, you can dive off Rottnest Island, or if you're travelling up the coast, you can do Ningaloo Reef.

Hi Kramer/All,
I know this sounds like terrible planning but...

I've a week to go and still haven't a clue where to go... flying out Monday for Perth... staying for 2-3 days then heading somewhere... wanted to go south around the coast to Albany and perhaps come back via Kalgoorlie... Was hoping to go to the forest land directly south of Perth, Swan River etc..

Did you do any activity stuff such as bushwalking or kayaking?

I will investigate going north as well. I've three and a half weeks. Any idea whether it would be possible to get to Ningaloo/Exmouth by bus and back in a month?

Anyone bussed it from Perth. Have you got any recommendations?

Regards,
Gearoid.

Gearoid, I bussed it from Broome to Perth last year and had a fantastic time. Make sure to get Cable Beach & Coral Bay in along the way. These are near enough to Exmouth, great place to go diving as I said before.

Perth is a fantastic base for a few days, so make sure to spend a few days here, I'd do at least 4 or 5. A couple of days to explore Perth and the rest to do trips to other places. Fremantle is pretty cool, very picturesque, some great seafood restaurants. Rottnest and Swan Valley are unmissable. Monkey Mia is pretty cool too. Just allow plenty of time, as the places to see in WA are pretty far apart.

No point in bussing it to Exmouth and back, bus it to Exmouth and get a flight back. Don't underestimate the SIZE of WA, it's massive.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Enjoy, you lucky sod! ;)

Heading north
Monkey Mia
Pinnicles...bit eastish..
Broome, Cable Beach..probably the warmest seas off OZ
The Kimberley Mountains..bring a radio..just in case there is a cyclone heading your way.

Heading South
Rottnest Island, by bike.
Fremantle
Margaret River,,great wineries
Esperance
Albany..western australia's original port

to the EAST... Kalgoorlie..the outback mining town.

As for going by bus,be prepared for a numb butt, because the bus distance are enormous..and if you are tall like me, well I would not fancy sitting in a Ryanair type seat for 8 hours...
Go out and have a ball, come back & tell us all about it.The weather will be fantastic.
PS: The ideal time to travel to north WA is between July /August - October

Back