Were to buy Electronics in Hong Kong

IrishGunner

Off to Hong Kong for the new year and looking to buy a few gadgets

Looking at new phone and Nintendo DS lite, camera

Did some googling and found a shope called Fortress but talking to someone they said that its the equivalent of Dixons etc

So is there anywere else were I can buy them. Staying in Causeway Bay

It seems to be not the cheapest over there but they have more up to date models

Be very careful that you're getting what you want. Lots of dodgy places in HK. Prices can be good but I was warned by a guide that if you want something electronic be sure you know precicely which model you want. Also they often sell you items missing a vital attachment, that you then have to go back & pay extra for.
I was told to shop only in places that were recommended by the HK tourist board. They have signs in the windows.
Also ALL the shops are Tax Free so don't get carried away by the ones with big lights telling you so....it's just a gimic. Town is generally cheaper than the airport from what I've been told.
Lots of shops on Nathan Road & it's miles long. Transport is efficient & cheap.

Much dodgy stuff out there especially on the streets. I would stick to a reputable store. Fortress are Hong Kongs version of Powercity and would be a safe bet.

Fortress have an okay website (but don't seem to have that many products on it)

I don't remember being that amazed by the prices when I was there last year (in general, not just in Fortress) ... I wasn't looking to buy so wasn't looking too hard but I didn't think the value was amazing compared to what you can get shopping around in Europe (not to mention in the US with the $)

I agree that the non branded shops are probably best treated with caution (as they are in most cities)

Back