Welfare Payments "Use them or Lose them" (as heard on the Joe Duffy Show)

in this case there was no point in going on the 'sick' anyway: they dont pay for the first 4 days of illness.

Re: Welfare Payments "Use them or Loose them" (as heard on the Joe Duffy Show)

You "signed on" that you were fit for work?! That's fraud! If you are sick, you claim Illness Benefit!

The system isnt perfect.
what about people who are sick but dont want to stigmatise themselves by claiming disability and actually want to get better and work ? I know someone who did that a few years ago and is doing fine now. its not so immoral.

in this case there was no point in going on the 'sick' anyway: they dont pay for the first 4 days of illness.

You do get paid from the first day if your claim links to another SW claim...in this case, claiming a week Illness Benefit immediately after Jobseeker's Benefit would mean no loss of payment.

Re: Welfare Payments "Use them or Loose them" (as heard on the Joe Duffy Show)

The system isnt perfect.
what about people who are sick but dont want to stigmatise themselves by claiming disability and actually want to get better and work ? I know someone who did that a few years ago and is doing fine now. its not so immoral.

i agree the system isn't perfect. How exactly, though, are you "stigmatised" by claiming a payment you are entitled to when you are sick?

Originally Posted by Welfarite: i agree the system isn't perfect. How exactly, though, are you "stigmatised" by claiming a payment you are entitled to when you are sick?

Some people believe there is a stigma especially in relation to mental health.
and believe it can reduce peoples estimation of you and your abilities.
I wouldnt know what advice to give someone about whether a future employer could find out if he or she had been on disability in the past and it may go against you if you wish to apply for a working visa to such places as Canada, Australia and the US as you could be obliged to declare your health status.
When I was working in the USA, I had to give them every scrap of detail in triplicate in order to obtain a visa so I know this is true.
Such thinking is problem in society today. Just a few short years ago contraception and divorce were stigmatised for example . Sure isnt that how Parnell fell from grace ? Either way its an arbitrary judgement being imposed .
The system isnt perfect and society isnt perfect but anyone claiming unemployment who is entitled to disability must surely be actually claiming less than they are entitled to?
Organisations such as AWARE try to help people understand depression and al anon helps the relatives of those who suffer from alcoholism. Theres also support groups for gamblers but notice they all offer anonymity? This is a reflection upon society and societys pressures even upon those whos problems are not their own doing.

You do get paid from the first day if your claim links to another SW claim...in this case, claiming a week Illness Benefit immediately after Jobseeker's Benefit would mean no loss of payment.

so if you are actually sick for say 2 /3 weeks would you be better claiming jobseekers allowance for the first week then switching to illness benefit? anyone I know who claimed illness benefit got zilch for the first 4 days.

so if you are actually sick for say 2 /3 weeks would you be better claiming jobseekers allowance for the first week then switching to illness benefit? anyone I know who claimed illness benefit got zilch for the first 4 days.

Nah, the first THREE days are not paid on a SW claim when it is the first claim in 6 months (i think ... might be a year). SW will pay from day one on any subsequent claims in that time as they "link" both claims. It makes no difference what type of claim it is, Illneess or Jobseeker's.