Welding arm to RSJ's for gates

alert

Hi guys,

Having my gate piers built in three weeks, in addition to digging out and filling the founds have been informed that I need to install two RSJs for hanging the gate, I also need a "plate" welded to the RSJs for to hang the gates off.

Does anyone know if this welding is done before or after RSJs are in place and if so how does one determine, accurately, where to weld?

ALERT.

The gate supplier/ fabricator should visit the job site and mark up a template or "story board" with accurate dimensions for setting out back in the workshop.

Hi Carpenter,

I have not, yet, sourced gates. Am I crazy to be doing this myself?

ALERT.

Alert,
The arm coming off the RSJ can be a bit of solid square bar. It will have to be a the location where the top hanger for you gates are going to be.

For example if your gates are curving upwards from 1.8 at the piers to 2m in the center, then the top hanger is generally about 1.7m above the ground level.

If you are automating the gates then the location of the supporting arm is determined by the size and type of gate, eg solid wood or metal type.

If you are backfilling you piers with concrete you can anchor your top hanger for your gate directly into this concrete and therefor not require the RSJ. If your gate guy uses threaded rod and chemical anchors the gates will never budge providing you have adequate concrete to fix into.

Paul24

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would it be terribly cheeky of me to ask if the preperation for automatic sliding gates would be simpler? Would there be any RSJ involved?

ALERT.

Alert,

In relation to the sliding gate you do not necessarily need a RSJ in the piers but there is a greater amount of civils required for the ground track, supporting posts and receiving post.
The supporting posts for the gate can be tied into the piers or directly cast into the ground.

Paul24