weekly parish envelopes

Boxette

Could any one tell me how much they put if any into their weekly parish envelopes. I did not fill mine for years but want to begin and am reluctant to ask my friends. Is there a formula for figuring this one out

€100 per week

only joking!!!

what ever you can afford, €5???? It really depends what you can manage.

Price of one pint or one V&C per week is one rule of thumb I heard expressed.

But its down to what you can afford.

Direct Debits are much handier!

Interesting one for me too! Where do you put the parish envelopes. Do you put them into the collection box at mass.

direct debits of up to 250 per year and the parish can claim tax back so that would amount toabout a fiver a week so if you were organised (or not very organised) i would say write a cheque for this amount for the year and forget the envelopes.

We write a cheque for €300 for the church building fund and €150 each to both of the priests in the parish. Now an envelope just comes once a year around October instead of the packet of weekly envelopes. The Easter, October, November etc envelopes still come but we just ignore them.

My father never put anything in. He always said he gave them enough on the plate at mass. ;)

You could always give 10% (tithe) of earning to the church, this would be the standard in some Catholic churches (countries) and many Protestant churches.

A friend of mine is German and says that they charge a rate of up to 8% in tax on wages there for "churches tax"!

I would give €5 if you had it, and you place the envelope into the collection plate during mass when it is sent round.

Why do you have to give money to the catholic church? Surely they are one of the wealthiest organisations in the world, with priceless treasures, properties, paintings etc?

Not to mention the fact that the money is funding this criminal, corrupt and secretive organisation. I would far rather give my money directly to charities who really need it.

Not to mention the fact that the money is funding this criminal, corrupt and secretive organisation. I would far rather give my money directly to charities who really need it.

Source? Or is this just opinion?

No one 'has' to donate money to the Catholic church - I think the OP was merely asking how much do people who wish to make such donations generally give and how do they do so.

thanks for all the replies - general opinion seems to be €5 which would not break the bank

Price of one pint or one V&C per week is one rule of thumb I heard expressed.

Ah yes, forget about actual amounts. Everything needs to be expressed in terms of how much drink you can buy with it. :)

Personally, I put these envelopes in the bin.

Back