Weekend in Stockholm

R Flan

Morning all,

the following wkend, 3rd October, i am going to stockholm with my girlfriend for a weekend. it is her birthday and am wondering if anyone has travelled there and has any suggestions of special activities/things to do for such a day.

Any advice is much appreciated.

R

Was there in Dec last year- my fav part was the Vassa museum- old town is nice. Went to the Noble museum which was also interesting. Everything there is about 10% more expensive then here - they all speak fluent english. I did struggle to find any decent pubs though - it seemed the seems all drank at home till 11pm came out then and queued for ages to get in anywhere!! Also there was an area which was really good - name escapes me where they have real old village and they dress, sell food from a couple of centuries ago.

I was there last July and enjoyed it. Skansen is the name of the park referred to. It is Bunratty writ large - you could spend a full day there. There is a great variety of houses -from small farmer, fisherman, manor house, church, school etc. When I was there there were people dressed up in the costumes of yesteryear and spinning and weaving yarn.

And do go for the local cuisine. Try the fish dishes (herring with various sauces), I found them superb.
I know one would not think of Sweden as a place in which to try local cuisine, but I was pleasantly surprised with the typical dishes (meatballs, herring made in several different ways, game).
Breakfast can be quite a culinary experience and I enjoyed the Swedish honey.

I would definitely recommend you take one of the many boat tours on offer. I did the 'Under the Bridges' tour - it's a two hour trip around the islands that make up Stockholm.
I would also recommend a visit to the Gamla Stan - the Old Town, and the Vasamuseet also.

If your girlfriend likes vodka, you could take her to the Absolut Ice Bar :-
http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/europe/icebar.shtml

Back