Weekend in Ireland

windo77

We would like to go away for a short break in Ireland. Somwhere less than 2 hrs drive from Dublin. The main things would be a small town with nice pubs and restaurants - opportunites to go on nice walks during the day. Any ideas??

Wexford. You could stay in Wexford town, Curracloe beach is only 20 min drive away and is beautiful. It also has a forest right beside it for walking too.

How small of a town? I've always liked Athlone - but a bit on the larger side maybe.

We spent a w'end in Sligo (Castlebaldwin) in a hotel called Cromleach lodge (its about 20 mins before sligo town.

Great walks. The hotel has acres of land - there is a lovely walk up through a forest just on your door step. And the hotel is overlooking Lough Arrow - so very scenic!

Alternatively you can drive for about 8km to Carrowkeel and take a 1km walk up to view the Megalitic Tombs.... surrounded by great views of Lough arrow,and some friendly sheep!

4*Hotel is lovely too!!! (and doggies are welcome!)

Thanks for all the replies so far. In response to Caveat's reply - a town smaller than Athlone would be ideal. Its the ideal distance alright.

Have been to Cromleagh Lodge - and i agree a beautiful place, enjoyed it.

thanks again

Ballinasloe is just up the road then.

Have you been to Kilkenny before? Lovely place, really underrated. Don't let the 'city' tag put you off because it's not one at all really. Still maybe too big though.

Ah what am I saying - Carrick-on-Shannon is where you want to go. I challenge any similarly sized town in Ireland to beat it. Two and a quarter hours or so should get you there.

Interesting post - a few times a year I find myself asking people the same question. For walking and close to Dublin it's hard to beat Wicklow. I stayed just outside of Ashford before for a weekend. It's a short drive to Glendalough and some of the most beautiful walks.

Cavan is also lovely. The Farnham Estate Hotel has lovely walks in it's grounds. I second Carlingford. Gorgeous little village with some nice pubs and restaurants at the foot of the Cooley.

Will give Carrick-on-Shannon a look into for our next weekend away I think.

Kilkenny is the best idea of all the above suggestions.Have stayed there in the past and always loved it