Weekend in Brussels in October

moondance

Myself and my other half are heading to Brussels for a weekend as we got a great deal on the internet. The hotel in on Avenue Louise and we'll be there from Friday morning until Monday morning. Any recommendations on things to see, places to eat / drink and good shopping bargains much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

take time to wander around the Grand Place there are heaps of restaurants off it that offer some fab food.
The antiques market in the grand Sablon on Sunday morning is well worth the trip, bring some spending money for it! You'll find some great stuff, and the prices are reasonable with a wide selection of stuff. IF you do go to the Grand Sablon there was a lovely restaurant there that did a nice brunch on the sunday morning, can't remember the name, but its more or less opposite the church, and had a bakery/coffee shop to the front, with the cafe out the back. I remember having a lovely vegetarian brunch, but I dont' think it was vegetarian only.
The royal army musuem is well worth a visit, its over by Schuman metro station, and its under the Belgian version of the brandenberg gate (sorry can't remember its real name). Considering most european conflicts have taken place in Belgium, from waterloo to WW2 its got some excellent stuff on show - and my hubby really loved the selection of military planes and tanks!
Avenue Louise would equate to Grafton St in terms of whats on sale there, so I'd suggest if you want to shop check out Nieuwe Straat / Rue Neuf, its about 5-10 walk from grand Place and that more along the lines of Henry St!
Enjoy

Take a trip to Bruges, well worth a visit, It's a train ride from Brussels Midi (I think), not that far, the town itself reminds me of the village in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory........

If you're at all interested in history take a trip to Bastogne. I found it fascinating as it's the area where the Battle of the Bulge took place. There's a huge memorial to all the dead - thousands on both sides - as well as one of the best WW2 museums I've ever seen.
It's not everyone's idea of something to see but I must say that I found Brussels itself quite boring. You'd see the sights in 2 days......Grand Place, the Manneken Pis, European Parliament. An interesting place to visit is the Atomium which is just by Mini Europe. Couldn't tell you how to get there as we got on one of those hop-on hop-off tourist buses.
Plenty of places to eat off Grand Place in the evening. It's a bit like the Latin Quarter in Paris.

The World War 1 battle fields near Ypres out West are really worth visiting. They still have sections of the orginal trenches. Plenty of monuments. The museum in Ypres itelf is really sobering.

Oh, I hope you are not travelling with Ryanair, apparently there is talk about cancelling the Dublin - Brussels route.

If the other half gets her hair coloured (assuming you are the man) it is well worthwhile getting done in Brussels, so muh cheaper than here. Also great shoe shops and jewellery shops around Avenue Louise, plus really interesting duvet covers v. unusual (I spend a lot of time in Brussels in the Commission which tends to have long lunch 4 hours for the interpreters hence my knowledge of the hairdressers!)

If the other half gets her hair coloured (assuming you are the man) it is well worthwhile getting done in Brussels, so muh cheaper than here. Also great shoe shops and jewellery shops around Avenue Louise, plus really interesting duvet covers v. unusual (I spend a lot of time in Brussels in the Commission which tends to have long lunch 4 hours for the interpreters hence my knowledge of the hairdressers!)

I'm a girl but I'll tell the other half that he should consider getting his hair coloured!!! ;)

Would definitely be interested in household items but it's getting them back with Ryanair's luggage restrictions that could be the problem!

Thanks for all the suggestions posters!

Back