week in the sun for Feb 2008

portlaire

I need to book a holiday for Feb next year very soon - present that was given to me. I would like somewhere that is not more than 5 hours away, with some sun and a beach and somewhere with some character, I'm not overly fond of the more popular sun locations like majorca or tenerife I would prefer somewhere with a little more character.
What would the weather in southern Italy maybe even Sciliy be like at this time of year? - Anyone been?
I was looking up Dubai but I don't like the flight times, the 5 hour flight plus time difference means you lose most of a day and on the way back the flights don't leave until midnight.

What about Morocco or Tunisia. Have never been there that time of year myself, but friends of my mothers go to Morocco every year in late October or November and don't come back until March, so as to get away from the cold here. Always texting home that the weather is great & how much they are enjoying themselves.And they do come home with fantastic colours & they wouldn't be sun worshippers lying out in it all day. They also find the people very friendly and helpful.

Haven't been to Dubai but it looks like it's been ruined with all these little resorts, Palm Island etc. How tacky!! (just my opinion)How about the Italian lakes or Dubrovnik?4 female friends went to Morocco a few years back and absolutely hated it. They said it just wasn't worth the hassle they got.

To be fairly certain of getting decent sun in February you need to be looking at somewhere in or close to the southern hemisphere or the Carribean imo and unless you travel by F16 you won't make those destinations in 5 or less hours. Pot luck whether you get decent sun in Spain/Italy/ Portugal in Feb. - better chance in the Canaries.

You should get good weather in Egypt in February, far too hot later in the summer months anyway. It is a good winter destination. Panorama are doing weekly trips to Sharm El Sheikh from x-mas onwards.

just back from fuerteventura and you could lie down on the road in the middle of caleta at almost any hour and not be run over by a car. if you want to get away from it all this is the spot. night life limited to big hotels and even then every limited. Spain of 25 years ago ( except in prices of course, where its only a couple of years behind). If its sophistication you'r looking for then not recommended. if its a stress free zone however....
weather in Feby should be ok.

Back