WEEE Directive

ninsaga

...so I want to buy a TV/toaster/hairdryer/hoover etc right now from a dealer/Lidl/Argos etc... do I just bring along the old device & hand it over to them at the counter when buying the new..is that how it works?

ninsaga

Last edited:
See http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/93a86f2137a4a2f380256f0f003bc84c/$FILE/WEEE%20and%20the%20Retailer%20Final%20%20-%20July%202005.pdf (this DoE booklet) on this page:
Retailer Take-back

From 13 August 2005, retailers will be required to take back WEEE from members of the public free of charge. Take back will be on a one-for-one basis only and the WEEE must be of a similar type or have performed the same function as the new item purchased. For example, you are not obligated to accept a microwave if your customer has purchased a toaster. Retailers cannot offer inducements in lieu of their take-back obligations.

I just noticed that [broken link removed] are not currently passing the WEEE directed charge on to customers according to [broken link removed]. I sort of assumed that retailers were obliged to pass this on - like the plastic bag levy etc.?

I think the point of the legistration was that the retailers where NOT supposed to pass on the charge. It was meant to be swallowed by the manufacturer of the appliance.

Though in the main it seems to be being added on.

Mate of mine works in the hotpoint main depot in blanch. For the month before the directive came in the guys there were busier then theyed ever been with the retailers stocking up on the cheaper prices.

There was a guy on the radio yesterday from WEEE (love that term) talking about it saying that some retailers were misunderstanding (deliberately??) the directive. As described above they have to take a 1 for 1 or like for like in the shop. But, for example, where a bring back is not always possible like a fridge or washing machine, when youre getting your new one delivered, the guys have to take the old one away. This hasnt always been happening so you should confirm with the retailer beforehand.
In the main, they were happy the directive was being complied with by the retailers but appealed to consumers to bring to their attention if you feel its not.

You go out to buy a new TV....there is 20 euro added to the price as per WEEE directive...they take back your old TV free of charge. The 20 extra euro you have paid goes into a fund which will eventually pay for the recycling of the new TV you have just bought when it reaches the end of its useful life. When you replace it you will pay another 20 euro to recycle it in the future and so on...thats how it works!

What about a first time buyer (or if you don't have anything to recycle). They buy all the electrical appliances and pay the WEEE charge. But these people have nothing to recycle. Why should they have to pay the charge?
In xx years time the fridge needs replacing and they have to pay the weee charge again, but this time they can get rid of the old fridge.
So technically they are paying the weee charge twice.

I was told in B and Q that there was no weee charge. You just bring in any electrical equipment and pay the charge at the desk.

As a first time buyer you are paying for the eventual cost of recycling the items you have just purchased as is anyone buying an appliance. When you replace them again you are paying for the eventual recycling of the replacement machines not the old ones (or first ones) if that makes sense.

Back