Weeds in vegetable plot

dewdrop

ihave a small area in back garden for vegetables mainly onion sets, lettuce. This year in particular it has become infested with weeds mainly of same type. they are so numerous impossible to weed out. on my return from hols recently the onion sets were completely overgrown by a blanket of weeds. i usually dig well before winter. does covering the area with plastic have the desired results or will the seeds remain in the ground and come up when i plant the sets. my wife will not allow any type of weedkiller

If the weeds are not too big it should be easy to distinguish them from onions. If they are small you can pull by hand of use a hoe as you only need to break the weed to kill it. If they have covered the onions you will have to pull by hand as you cannot see where you are hoeing.

IMO your wife is dead right with respect to spraying your own little veggie garden, it's nice to be green. Lovely sunshine today....good day for a bit of weedin'.

I had the same problem and each night I used to pick weeds for about a half an hour and after a couple of nights the garden was clean and looking great. I picked the biggest first then went back and picked out the smaller ones and eventually picked out the seedlings.

There's only one way to do and that's the hard way - weedkillers are for the intensive gardener.

I usually try to pick the weeds on a dry garden/night but my father always reckons it's easier when the bed is wet, hard on the skin though.

in the good old days one used to weed the garden not spray the weeds.Down on yer knees and some hard graft is the answer.

Back