weed control sheeting/decorative stones

Ash

We've a small grassy area of about 8 feet x 8 feet which has become scrubby and weedy.
We'd like to tidy it up. Because of the location, shrubs or flowers arent really an option so we are thinking of covering it with that weed control sheeting used under flower beds in gardens and covering that with some nice decorative stones.
For a good job, is there a particular type of sheeting we should get or are they all pretty standard?
For selection and best value are we better going to a garden centre, builders providers, Atlantic/Woodie's or somewhere else?

I have landscaped part of my garden with slate, which is lovely, but I have found that the best thing to put under it is old carpet, pattern side down. It's usually free and no weed has ever come up through it.

if you are going for a gravel you could end up with a shabby looking job as the gravel can't fix into the plastic and creates 'scuffed' patches of plastic. Better to lay a level of cheap coarse stone harden it with the appropiate machine or by stomping on it in your boots and lay the gravel on top. With larger stones this shouldn't be an issue, no weed membrane will be perfect, eventually some weeds will settle in on top of it.

Sounds like what we have in mind for our tiny garden - coarse stones with a gravel topping - maybe at last having space for the car to fit in! Could you tell me is there a particular size of gravel to go for and also how deep to dig earth? Thanks