weddings

unsociable maybe,you dont have to be at your partners side 24/7,if the people arent your cup off tea you can move beside partner later etc,but mix and give it a chance.

I think it depends. I was at a round table wedding where I knew only 4 people. My boyf was placed two seats away and the others at different tables. I nearly had heart failure.

However, it worked out well. Made conversation easier around the table and meant that everyone could join in.

is it very clingy to want to sit beside your husband at a table of people you don't know?
No, is it not normal? I can't remember although I was at one a month ago, luckily I've got 4 more coming up so that's plenty of chances to remember the etiquette. But most people tend to be reasonably loquacious at these things anyway (must be the vino) - just don't start talking about what your house is worth!!

Thanks for the tip Glenbhoy! I guess it'll get more chat going seeing as no one will be too cosy!

Glenbhoy said:
I've got 4 more coming up so that's plenty of chances to remember the etiquette.
Surely the "etiquette" is simply to make conversation and go with the flow? Hardly rocket science. On the other hand maybe some people secrete cue cards and speaking notes about their person in case of an emergency or something?

I wouldnt think it was normal to split up couples, mix them with others yes but split up completly, i wouldnt have thought so. However, if bride & groom wish it that way for some reason, could be a lot of singles at wedding and dont want them to feel uncomfortable, you should go with the flo.

I had a very thought out seating plan at my wedding last year and some of my aunts and uncles thought they'd just sit where they wanted, and moved the cards around.

agree with deem, why would folks split couples up? mind you i prefer to sit where i am told as its only really for the meal anyway. Its alright to say, go with the flow, make conversation but if you are shy, nervous etc it can be like being nailed to the cross being beside some folks. Would i be bold and say it sounds like a bit of a bridezilla table plan?

spot on clubman!
as for 4 more weddings to look forward to -i wish I felt the same about weddings,I'd rather have endodontic treatment done than go to weddings(now if I had cue cards,that might be different!!

ClubMan said:
Surely the "etiquette" is simply to make conversation and go with the flow? Hardly rocket science.
Yeah, you'd think would'nt you - nah, it's them bloody knives/forks/spoons etc and trying to figure out why people serve terrine's of anything!!
The problem with cue cards is getting them out secretly, I've never been much good at poker, so you can see my dilemma.
As for 4 more to look forward too, it's just too much - bit of a financial hit too, at least only one of them involves a stag night too.

I HATE seating plans of any kind, bad enough to have to endure a wedding but to be told where to sit and who to sit with is just a step too far.
As for being split up from your partner well that is just silly.

I would think its very unusual to split couples up. I wouldn't be too impressed if I was a guest. We did a table plan but just let everyone sit where they wanted at the table. Everyone swops the place names around anyway:D

nelly said:
agree with deem, why would folks split couples up?
My (now) sister in law got married at the weekend. Her sister/my wife was bridesmaid so sat at the main table with the couple, parents etc. while I was relegated to the benches. Didn't really bother me.
Bamhan said:
I HATE seating plans of any kind, bad enough to have to endure a wedding
Glenbhoy said:
As for 4 more to look forward too, it's just too much - bit of a financial hit too, at least only one of them involves a stag night too.
Why not decline invitations to weddings if they are such an onerous burden for you both?
nelly said:
Its alright to say, go with the flow, make conversation but if you are shy, nervous etc it can be like being nailed to the cross
Bit of an exaggeration surely?

In answer to your question Clubman I attend weddings when my husband asks me to do so, and out of politeness when it is a family member but I always get a migraine and find the day long and often tiresome.

Personally I don't see either as a reason to attend if it causes so much hardship.

Probably not..........in fact to tell the truth I think my attending wedding days are over.
Most of my good friends are married now anyway so I think I am out of the woods.
For any future works related weddings I will send a present and a card and decline the invite.

Originally Posted by Clubman
Why not decline invitations to weddings if they are such an onerous burden for you both?
I can't recall stating that they're an onerous burden on both of us - compromise being the key to most good relationships (the brownie point system)! In truth, I don't mind them on occasion, but by November I'll have had 7 in the last 12 months.

A quick re-read shows that Clubman was not referring to my dear wife but Bamham - apologies Clubman, however, as stated earlier, sometimes we don't have a choice in these matters!!

Back