Weddings in a recession

homeowner

Has anyone being calling around about wedding venues in the past few weeks? Are you getting any discounts or incentives to book with particular places?

I'm helping my sister plan a wedding, want to know if there is scope to bargain or is the wedding market pretty healthy for hotels at the minute.

Definitely bargain. One friend got a very well known castle venue down from 24000 - to 17000 over the phone.

Also a friend of mine works in a well known hotel and she said that so far this year they have had 18 cancellations.

That good news (for us, bad for the hotel obviously)! Dont suppose you could PM me with the name of the hotel with the 18 cancellations. They are hoping to get married this year so we thought they'd be stuck with left over dates that no one else wanted.

Im getting married this year, and recently negotiated, on the meal, wine and rooms. The hotel had set prices and we had deposit paid since last year, but with the current climate - discounts were given on all requests....

We just booked our hotel about a month or so ago and are getting married in June. They have given us the price for head and at the begining I knocked off a drinks reception and a round of drinks to try to reduce the bill. Might go back and see how much I can get either one for.

From my side of things in the wedding industry suppliers are lowering prices and are willing to haggle to get bookings. Those who aren't are few and far between.

BUT hotels are normally the last ones to do it from talking to couples.

From my side of things in the wedding industry suppliers are lowering prices and are willing to haggle to get bookings. Those who aren't are few and far between.

BUT hotels are normally the last ones to do it from talking to couples.

+1. services are being reduced upon request. Its happening across right across the board.
Obviously everyone has their limit but reductions can be absorbed in the larger scheme of things.

Strange that about hotels, Ive found that too, about them not reducing at all. Dont understand it in the current climate.

I'm getting married next year going to view hotels in the next week any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated