Wedding venue near Ballinasloe

Janet

My baby sister is getting married - she just got engaged and wants to get married late next summer. She's going to do it down in Galway, where our mum is from, not too far from Ballinasloe. It's fairly short notice as weddings go so it may be a problem finding somewhere to have the reception. We've even rung the Hudson Bay in Athlone but they're booked out till 2008. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative venues in that general kind of area? I'll check weddingsonline.ie as well, have a feeling I'll be needing to spend lots of time over there in my capacity as maid of honour.

what about the Lady Gregory hotel in Gort? Have been to a wedding there and it's quite nice. Hayden's hotel in Ballinasloe is also apparently a good venue. Also try the Shannon Oaks in Portumna.

Alternatively, Galway city has a huge number of hotels - it's less than 60 mins drive to Ballinasloe, so could be a better option...?
I presume you've considered having a mid-week wedding to increase chances of availability...

Clarenbridge is also quite nice, the Clarenbridge Court hotel or a few others around there. I can't think of specific names off hand.

another one is The Meadowcourt in Loughrea ..about 20 miles from Ballinasloe..was there many years ago for a wedding and was a good day

Thanks for that. Gort might be a bit far and Galway may be as well - the village is the other side of Ballinasloe if you know what I mean so it'd be closer to 90 minutes to Galway and a lot of people will already have travelled a fair distance.

We're looking at a couple of places in Roscommon too. Hayden's in Ballinasloe has apparently "gone down a lot" so although it'd be ideal she doesn't want to take a chance. The Meadowcourt is one someone else suggested to her yesterday which might be good - they've even had a cancellation in the last week for the date she's decided on. I'll check out Clarenbridge too.

Thanks again. Bands will be the next thing to get organised - I reckon once the church, hotel and band are sorted everything else can wait for a couple of months! Although I'm not a big fan of spending piles of money on weddings I think I may need to persuade her to go here for her cake: www.goyas.ie :)

The Shannon Oaks Hotel in Portumna is a good option. A Radisson hotel has opened up in Athlone, and also I think the Prince of Wales Hotel has been renovated recently. There is also the option of Kinnity Casle in Offaly, but that might be a bit pricey.

Wineport Lodge in Glassan, Athlone also - supposed to be fab. A girl at work is having her reception there next year...

Brouhahaha said:
People have wedding receptions in this castle (link below) outside Loughrea but I suspect it's not cheap!

http://www.cloghancastle.com/

Went to a wedding there. Brilliant craic. Restored castle - looks class.
Only had about 15 rooms though so most guests had to stay elsewhere in hotels/B&Bs etc. Its between Loughrea and Gort.

I dont think they would cater for much more than 150 people and I doubt they are that expensive to be honest.

It really was a class wedding. If you got tired of the dancing you could wander around upstairs into large sitting rooms with big fires and comfy couches etc - would recommend a winter wedding her for sure.

The Shannon Oaks in Portumna is a good spot, can you have the wedding on a Friday, might have more options.
Problem with the likes of Cloghan castle is drink, can you have a bar at this and charge ?, or do you have to give out free booze at the wedding, not sure what kind of licence is required/ with that venue.

Well, they've set the date and it'll be a Friday - she's going down to see a few places at the weekend but Meadowcourt is looking like the favourite. Cloghan Castle looks lovely but it's almost three thousand to get it for a wedding and then the costs of caterers etc on top of that as well as being relatively small - I think it's only for 200 and she'll have 150 for the wedding and potentially the same amount again for the evening (depending on how many cousins decide to show up among other things:))

Back