Wedding Expenses

MonkeyFeet

I have just started to plan our wedding.

Would anyone have a list of expenses which are come across when planning a wedding, e.g. priest, invitations...

I'm sure there are plenty of expenses that I would not even think of!!

Also if you has a rough idea of what each item cost too, it would help with the budgeting.

Your help as always is appreciated.

Thanks justsally

But I already got a 'wedding budget' from Weddingsonline, but it was far from comprehensive

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me further

Here is my list if its any help:

Wedding Reception
Pre-Marriage Course
Car Hire
Wedding dress
Church Music
Wedding Stationary – Invitations & Thank You Cards
Band
Honeymoon
Honeymoon Spending Money
Bridesmaid Dresses
Wedding Favours
Men Wedding Suit
Luggage
Wedding Stamps
Wedding Cake Flowers (Cake made by my mother)
Wedding wine
Wedding Dress Alteration
Bridesmaid Shoes
Bride Shoes/ Jewellery/ Lingerie
Weddig Favour Chocolates
Wedding Mass Booklet Paper
Priest/ Sacristan/ Altar Servers
Videographer
Photographer
Church Flowers

The above list looks fairly good to me. In reality nobody could tell you how much all these things will cost because it depends on a few things such as where in the country you are eg. if you are planning your wedding in Dublin it generally will cost you alot more than other places in Ireland. Also it depends on what type of wedding you want to have. There are ways to have a traditional church wedding with all the trimmings without spending a fortune.

Some hints:

1. Forget favours. Nobody even noticed at our wedding that there were none, they were all too busy enjoying the day!
2. Car Hire - If you know of anyone with a nice car then ask them can you borrow their car for the few hours - if you are really nice to them they might even be your driver too!!
3. You could make your invitations. There is a place in Dublin called Daintree and they have all the tools and supplies to enable you to do this.
4. Don't get a band - a DJ for the whole day will work out alot cheaper.
5. So many people feel they have to travel half way across the world for their honeymoon. You will be so tired after the big day that a couple of weeks in portugal or spain lying on the beach will be just what you need. Hold off and go on your " BIG " holiday a year or so later when you have had time to save (or you may get cash gifts and you could hold on to some of it)
6. Ask a friend or family member to video the day for you. Official videographers are very expensive and i think once you have the ceremony and bits of video from throughout the day its all you need. You won't watch it too often anyway!!
7. Flowers - Check with your priest if there is a wedding the day before or after yours in the church, contact the bride and groom of this wedding and see if they are keen to share the cost of the flowers. You can get them in a neutral colour.

These are just some ideas. Saying that - i didn't take too much of my own advice when i got married!! I just thought that after going through it i would give you a few hints as to what ways you could save if you really needed to. Best of luck with the planning!!

Wedding favors are little gifts left on the tables for the guests such as a little chocolate or a little candle etc. I feel they are not necessary if you are on a tight budget but each person feels differently about them!

Thanks for your advice

I'm getting prices for hotels at the moment

If the hotel/menu we choose is expensive, your saving money tips will come in handy!!

Back