Wedding dresses ordered from US

Marie M

Has anyone any experience or know of anyone who has ordered their wedding dress online from the US. Its quite cheap, so I'm wondering if there is a catch.

Thanks

It will probably get caught at customs and you will have to pay custom duty on it.
I'm not sure how much this is but I think it can be significant but still work out cheaper than buying it here.

I have heard of people getting around this when their supplier lables it as a "gift" but I don't know how reliable that is.

YOu should ask over at www.weddingsonline.ie for expert opions and advice!

Hi Marie,

Would deffo recommend. I bought my bridesmaid dress from a shop in the States. She tried it on here, we go the stlye number of the dress and ordered it from the States. It cost €300 here and $115 from the States. The girls on www.weddingsonline.ie can provide more info for you - loads of them do it.

When the dress arrived here, I had to pay about €25 customs. You have to sign for it and pay over the customs duty to the delivery man. They called me and let me know in advance how much it would be. Some of the shops will mark the package as 'Sample' of 'Item value less than $50' - you don't have to pay customs in those instances. Some of the shops will do this for you if you ask

If you buy in the shops here, they will just order it from the States anyway. The main ones used are www.bridesave.com, [broken link removed] and . These are all tried and trusted sites.

HTH

C

Very interested to read about this - (not planning to marry again!) - but am in the market for an evening dress for eldest child. I can't get over the price ranges - is the manufacturing & material good quality?

They don't do returns on the bridesmaids dresses (which is what I'm looking at for evening wear), but I'm wondering is it worth taking a chance? (Provided of course that eldest child and I can agree on what is suitable for her to wear!)

Kildrought,

This site delivers worldwide also http://www.simplydresses.com/. Don't know of anyone that has used it before though.

The sites I mentioned above all have measurement charts. I would advise you to measure your hips, waist and bust and find the size that corresponds rather than converting say size 12 to a U.S equivalent

D

I went shopping with my youngest sister for a debs dress a couple of years ago - it's as expensive to hire one as to buy one unfortunately.

It seems that once you choose the dress, they put it aside, and it's not hired out again until you've used it. I remember figures of around €200 being mentioned.

A good option is to look on their racks of ex-hire dresses for sale. We bought a long satin skirt/bustier for around the €200 mark.

Tried every search i can think and still cant get any results on the www.weddingsonline.ie website. What am I doing wrong?

I got married last September and ordered this dress from : http://weddingdressesforsaleonline.com/p_french_9323.html I didn't have to pay any taxes at all. I liked this website as it has masses of dresses and if you don't like it when it arrives you are permitted to change it for another style. I just measured myself in accordance with the instructions and the dress fitted me perfectly. Without a doubt my dress would have cost around €2,000 or more here as it was hand beaded. I placed my order by phone and I received the dress within about 5 weeks.

I had 3 bridesmaids and was not interested in dragging them around the shops - so I found this website : www.keepmeinstitches.biz I couldn't belive how helpful the lady was, I dealt with her by e-mail asking her numerous questions, her name was Rhonda. One of my bridesmaids was only 13 and tiny so I was trying to match her up with the other two and the lady was so helpful in helping me do this. She gave me $10 reduction on each dress for buying 3 (they were only $75 each anyway!) and when I noticed they had a sale on I asked her would I still get $10 off the sale price and she said yes. The dresses arrived and were also absolutely perfect.

I also got my veil from an English website for Stg£19.99, I'm sorry I can't remember which one but will post it if I do.

I saved an absolute fortune by taking the risk of ordering online but most of all I saved myself the headache of going around shops and trying to get bridesmaids together and drag them around. I knew I didn't want one of the dresses that are in fashion at the moment as I wanted long sleeves, by ordering online you have a massive choice and the worst part of it is narrowing it down to one!!

I also ordered a layered kind of fancy cake stand thing from the U.S. and ordered a load of muffins as a wedding cake and just bought the top layer one from Marks & Sparks to keep the tradition and the aunties happy which also saved me a fortune and everyone was delighted to be tucking into the muffins in the evening. I also made my invitations mostly with stuff from www.craftsupplies.ie and [broken link removed] . If I was doing it again I would do the exact same thing. I would recommend the sites I used to anyone!

IMD thank u so so much.

I emailed bridesave.com because there is a particular dress I am looking for and they have it. Its $798 yet here in Ireland they are charging €1,600 + alterations which can be anything from €25 - €100.

They provided me with a break down of delivery, taxes, custom charges and it looks like the total cost will be $1,178. There is an option to buy a dress protection kit which is $ 125 so even if I get that Ill still be makinf a saving of almost €600. That could buy me all 3 bridesmaids dresses that I need to get as well.

My mum makes dresses and her friend is also a professional dress maker so hopefully between them they can alter it when it arrives.

Trying it on tomorrow in another shop I found so please god I can do it !!

Well done IMD.. I really admire what u did. God u could go into business

parkviewbuye said:
Tried every search i can think and still cant get any results on the www.weddingsonline.ie website. What am I doing wrong?

You need to search in the discussion forums

[broken link removed]

I had originally planned to go down the internet route but I ended up buying my dress in a sample sale for 1/3 of the original price.

You'll get loads of ideas and money saving tips over on WOL. Some of the tips I picked up over there that saved us money:

Made our invites & mass books.
Bought silk flowers for mine & bridesmaids bouquet
Bought my jewellery & tiara on e-bay
Negotiated corkage with the hotel

Good luck Parkviewbuye! That is brilliant if you can try the dress here and get it cheaply online and as for having dressmakers at your disposal sure you are sorted!!! As I mentioned I didn't get billed or charged anything at all for taxes, though I know some people that have, so you might be lucky on that one.

We also made the mass booklets, and bought the bouquets from Roches Stores - mine and the 3 bridesmaids came to less than €30.00. Okay they were plain red roses which I wouldn't have picked if I were getting fresh flowers, but when it came to saving over €500 on getting real ones made I really couldn't care less. The main thing to be happy with is the dress in my experience as nobody will notice much of the other stuff as much as you'd think.

You could be using the wrong search button, go into the forums and then us the search beside FAQ etc, This was happening to me also.