Wedding bar exemption €700?

E

emilyjane

Hi please any info on this please I have been quoted 700 euro for my bar exemption from the hotel and i think it is outrageous?. We have 65 sitting down and 100 for the evening part and hadnt thougth about a bar exemption being this expensive, is it up to the hotel to pay it or us, surley if they are a hotel advertisig weddings then i thought it should be on them seeing as they are set to make the money from the extra drinking time
??/

Re: Wedding bar exemption €700?????????????

Recently the Government raised the price of gaining this to a basic of 350. It was about 350 with legal costs before that ( crazy price even at that ). So now the price of 700 !!

The extension is applied for in your name on behalf of the hotel if i remember correctly.

Some places will waive it if pressed. We got ours thrown in with our wedding package last year.

Re: Wedding bar exemption €700?

Sorry didn't understand the 'exemption' term. Do you need to change the heading to 'extension'?

Sorry didn't understand the 'exemption' term. Do you need to change the heading to 'extension'?

When we got the wedding brochure from the our hotel, it referred to a bar 'exemption' several times and I remember thinking that if they wanted us to spend 10k in their hotel, the least they could do was spell properly! Anyway, now that I've seen 'exemption' used again, Im thinking that this is actually the correct term. Anyone else know?

Hi, i think the word is exemption as they would be exempt from closing times on that night, thats what i always thought it was but i am still baffled at having to pay 700 euro?!!

It's a term used in the licensing legislation. The hotel has to apply for an "exemption order" from the district court (it apparently can also be issued by the local garda superintendent).

But in effect, it's a bar extension...... They're essentially the same thing. They also don't cost the hotel anything like €700, so get the price knocked down to about half that if you can.

So is it that I pay 300 without excise or 410 with excise, ie, either or? Also what is excise.

Excise is a type of tax, its on things like alcohol, cigarettes, petrol etc

You pay whatever the hotel charges you really, but it costs them that to apply for the late extension.

we just laughed and said grand so - you close the bar at 1.30 and you will miss out on the takings and suddenly that charge was never heard of again! The residents ended up in the residents bar anyway so i would call their bluff.