Wedding Advice Needed-Please help!

mollie_bud

We are thinking of getting married on New Years Eve next year in Tipperary. Has anyone gotten married on NYE or been to a wedding on this date? Would you recommend it or would before Christmas be better or should we stick to the summer? Is it much more expensive or do hotels charge the same for a wedding regardless of the date? Any advice or suggestions more than welcome! Have no idea what it's going to cost us. Would like to give a choice at the meal and will probably have around 140 people-we both have parents that come from large families! I'm hoping I can do some stuff myself, invitations, mass booklets, maybe the cake, etc. Hoping one of my best friends will sing in the church for me and if can negotiate corkage should be able to source wine at a reasonable rate. Do hotels negotiate on corkage? One of the hotels we are considering states their corkage charge is €14.25 for wine and €18.50 for champagne which seems outrageous. It says on their website that this is non-negotiable. Anyway, all advice, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated both on the date and on any money saving tips!!!

I think a New Years Eve wedding sounds great and it is a very popular day for a wedding. One of my family got married on New Years Day and that was fantastic also. Bands will probably be a bit dearer New Years Eve maybe. Book everything in time! Good luck and hope you'll have a great day whenever you choose.

Have been to one wedding on new years eve - it was good, but dont think i would like to go to another. If you are inviting people who have children, it is the worse night of the year to be looking for a babysitter. sometimes it is nice to stay over in the hotel of the wedding, but our one was booked out and again it was a big problem with taxis etc.
proberly if you are well organised it will work out great (sort accommodation or mini bus hire).

I had this conversation recently as it happens with some friends and the wedding on NYE idea fell with a 50-50 split in popularity. The general consensus was that it's a great idea if it's a close friend/family member as most people like to have a plan made for them but less so if it is a not so close family or friend. For others however with family traditions they would not appreciate it as they would not like to change a family tradition to join a friends party.

Bottom line is with weddings you'll never please everyone anyway!

Weddings around Christmas tend to be horrendously expensive for all concerned. Bands, accommodation, hotels all boost their prices for the season. A lot of hotels also will only do NYE as part of a two night package. Travel costs are higher too, and no public transport runs on new years day.

Then consider things like flowers...there are very few delivery dates between Christmas and the New Year...a friend had to have artificial flowers in her bouquet as the price quoted for her December 28 wedding was 4 times the price of any other time of year.

Suit hire also tends to be more expensive as you would have to keep them a day longer with the bank holiday.

Regarding wine and corkage...those prices are pretty standard (I organise events for work so see a lot of these prices)...trying to dissuade people from bringing their own in in most cases. I usually get the hotel to do a trade off...buy their house wine provided they take a couple of euro off the price per bottle...and manage to get a deal on Champagne corkage by guaranteeing a certain number of bottles of wine to be bought.

We got married on New Year's Eve and it is a great day to get married. I agree with the previous posters that it is a problem with people who have children in relation to babysitters, but given enough notice, it can be worked out.

Our dilemma in relation to the band was solved by having a dj for the whole night which is what I wanted anyways. Also the hotel was quite a small hotel so most guests were people attending the wedding.

The only problem we had was flowers because the flowers weren't all that fresh, in that most of the flowers were there since Saturday, NYE fell on a Monday that year, but our florist did a great job with what she had.

In relation to the hotel, some of the hotels we looked at had their own functions on so they couldn't accommodate us.

But overall, no regrets, a great night and an easy day to remember for our anniversary :)

Thanks for all your replies-we have finally decided and we are getting married this New Years Eve, yay! So excited!

Back