Website Won't display

Irldigi

My PC crashed tonight and since I got it back running, I haven't been able to open a particular website. The website that was open at the time of the crash. It just comes up with "cannot find server" error.

I know the site works because I can open it on a Blackberry. I have reset all cookies, and temporary files. Are there any other locked or somehow open files that are blocking the site ?

How can I fix this, as its a site I use regularily.

Thanks,

D

What browser/version? Have you tried another? Have you scanned for viruses/malware? Do all other websites work OK?

IE6 is the browser
Norton security is running with no problems.
All other websites are fine
Almost like a corrupted cookie or something like that. I can even open the site on a different PC in the house.

Try typing the IP address in directly, if is a static one and see if that works.

Damn, this is a real pain in the neck now.....

Tried all the above, the IP address got me to the home page. It is actually www.elance.com

However, it will not load the "Sign In" page, it seems all other pages for the site work on this PC except the sign in page on this PC !!!

I downloaded CrapCleaner and ran it too, cleared all cookies and temp files that I know of..... still will not load page. There must be some corrupt file there, because I was logged in to that page at the time the machine crashed....

HELP !!!

Is it possible that your AVS or firewalls are blocking that particular IP address since the crash? Check the allowed/blocked traffic settings for each.

Clubman,

I haven't tried to run a different browser. I only have IE6 loaded on this machine.

Amygdala,
I have rechecked AVS and firewalls, all have been reset with no blocks !! Its a real mystery at the moment.

However, there is definitly some sort of information retained even after reset all cookies, because on a couple of site it will still autocomplete my log in name and offer the saved password. Where are these files saved ? Anyone know ?

D

Trying another browser would help to narrow down the problem. If the problem still occurs with another browser then it's not a browser specific problem. If not then it's an IE problem. FireFox doesn't take long to download and install and you can always remove it once you're done (unlike IE!).

Downloaded Firefox..... (very fast and nice browser !!)

BUT, still the problem...opens homepage but not the signin.....

This is the error

"The server at secure.elance.com is taking too long to respond.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

So it looks like it's not a browser specific problem. Time to start looking elsewhere such as suggested by Amygdala above.

Or try a System Restore (XP) or repair install of Windows.