Website hosting costs?

S

SalmonSky

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a website designed etc. The company I have doing the design work have quoted me €250.00 per annum for hosting. This appears high to me but I'm new to this. Is it reasonable to pay this for hosting?

It depends what the service levels are - disc space , download limits . If it is a basic site and you are not expecting to get visitors running into thousands a day - you could get hosting for as little as €35 euro a year in Ireland. Find out what you are getting for this 250 and whether you need it or not. I suspect that if the company's main business is design - they are just arranging the hosting for you and adding on a bit for themselves?

In 99% of cases, hosting shouldn't cost this much. My guess too would be that the company will get a significant cut from this figure. You could send them a link to (they're better than their website makes them seem!) and tell them you'd like to use them or a similar low-cost provider instead, just to let them know that you're aware what the real cost is.

That's €35 per year plus the cost of your time taken to set up and manage. If you have the time and the skills great, but if you want someone else to do it all for you then you'll have to pay extra. If they are providing all management of the domain and e-mail addresses through out the year, then the quoted costs are not unreasonable.

BTW, As an former GoDaddy customer, I don't rate them for hosting at all.

Note: I'm in the business of providing such services.

I've found godaddy.com excellent so far. I've used them on several sites and never really had a major problem over the last two years or so. Everything works and they're quick to respond to queries, so not sure what else could be expected from a basic hosting provider. However, I'm aware that not everyone has had the same positive experience with them. If the €250 is purely for hosting, then I think it's definitely too much, even if it includes some administration from the developing company.

I agree and I find godaddy excellent. They are reasonably priced and provide great service unlike the Irish hosts who are slow to help and are very expensive.

I would like those posters to explain why godaddy is so bad.

They are reasonably priced & the packages seem very generous
But they offer banwidth that its impossible for you to reach.
I was with them & was offer a package with 500gb allowance
Vey good I thought. Untill my users kept complaining about site being down. GoDaddy HAD limited my database to 50 connections ...No fear of using anywhere near that bandwidth

The problems I had with Godaddy was with their support (slow and ineffective) and with their over zealous spam fiiltering which was rejecting some valid e-mails from my customers. I am now using a Irish ISP and find their support to be very good and their spam at least allows all valid mail through even if more SPAM comes through as well.

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a website designed etc. The company I have doing the design work have quoted me €250.00 per annum for hosting. This appears high to me but I'm new to this. Is it reasonable to pay this for hosting?
I'm using Servage.net for €105 (incl. VAT) for 14 months. However they quoted it at €86 but then hit me with the VAT at the end but i went along with it.
Just be on the lookout for inc/ex VAT they seem to hide it from you then hit you with it when you're about to pay. (Or maybe i was just extremely naive, because it was my first time?)
Anyway, someone above me said "you get what you pay for" and that's exactly true.
Hope your site works out well!

Servage are based in Germany (in the EU) hence the VAT. You can claim it back, or be exempted from paying in the first place if you have an EU VAT number.

It is 'industry practice' to quote prices ex. VAT