Website construction

candyman

Hi,

How much does a website cost to set up?

Looking to get a new website built for my start up business. High level aspects of the site include:
- login page with backend database validation
- new user reg
- it needs to pull a feed of data from an external source
- payment integration - e.g. visa, paypal etc
- some non trivial programming of some business logic

Anybody got some ballpark figures on this or can recommend any vendors?
Thanks.

if you go to creativeireland.com there are lots of programmers and designers there who would pitch a good price.

I don't think you'll find a set price for what you're looking for, as some of the features look fairly bespoke. I would think it would boil down to getting the right person for the job (make sure to get some references) and then bargaining. If you want to get an idea of the cost, post the job on and see what the developers with a good track record are charging for it, I've used the site for a number of small jobs and have never had a problem.

Try http://pagelines.com the designs are excellent and cost about $100. I went on creativeireland before looking for a logo designed and I was lambasted by the other posters for not appreciating the work etc etc because I had a budget of €400.

You can register your domain and hosting for about €50, buy an off the shelf theme from Pagelines for as little as €60 and the hire a web developer for a day or two to set up your all the aspects on the site or you could get a student out of one of the colleges to do it for less. If you use WordPress as your content management system, a lot of the features that you want on the site i.e. external feeds, login, paypal etc. are free because there are all these developers who write this stuff for word press already and you just add them as a "widget"

Take it from someone who has learned the hard way, you do not need to spend big money to get a really nice website. My estimate is that you get the site set up for €150 and then talk to a web developer about some of the high level aspects if you think it's necessary . AFAIK, developers charge about €350 per day or you could try getting in touch with some of the colleges. Sometimes they take on this type of work for free cos the students want the experience.