Webcam

H

Hounddog

Hello everyone,
I wish to upload images from a webcam to a website from my back garden. Has anyone out there any experience with this? How difficult is it? Costs ?, etc

Regards,

Hounddog

Hey dog,
The Creative WebCams come with software to allow this.
In Remote Monitoring mode, you can capture still images at specific intervals and have these images automatically uploaded on a web site of your choice or just to an ftp site.
Here's a link to their range of webcams

http://ie.europe.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=218&

I've got the WebCam Live! Motion and can recommend it.

Hi Damomac,
Thanks for that link. I to use the webcam for a webite. However my PC is going back to 1998. Is this too old ?

You will need USB ports on the PC. I think the minimum system requirements for this WebCam and their others Webams is a Pentium III 700Mhz. Anything under this spec and the camera may not work.

Do you know what CPU and RAM are in your PC ?

The WebCam Live! Motion works only in Windows XP and Windows 2000. The other cameras should be ok under Windows 98.

Hi Damomac,
My real preferred webcam would not be in my back garden but on a farm, uploading to a web. However there is no PC or internet on the farm. Is there a practical solution out there for this ? Or is a PC/ modem an absolute must ?

You can buy cameras which will operate without a PC. The images would be accessible via a web browser from anywhere.

However, they would require a broadband-enabled connection to work - most commonly a broadband phone line.