Web Page Design Help

P

patp

Hi,

What Questions Does One Ask When Having A Web Page Designed ?

And What Is The Best Hosting Or Site For Same ?

How Do I Know When I Have The Right Designer?.

I Want To Have A Web Page Designed For My Small Business, As I Am Low In Funds Where Would I Locate An Individual To Design A Good One For Me At Low Cost.

Thanks

Patp.

Hi Pat,

If you are comfortable with it - many hosts - including www.hosting365.com 0- provide simple website builder tools free with the hosting - which allow you to choose from a range of templates, upload your logo and photos and make a small website.

Hi Pat-

You should start out with working out the details of what you want from your website - i.e. contact & basic general information, a brochure website, an easily update-able website for frequent ongoing changes, a secure shopping website, etc. Having some examples of other websites that you like and want to match functionality-wise will help.

Hosting and domain management can be done yourself if you are IT literate, there a many businesses (both here and abroad) that can provide this service. For .ie domains IEDR has lists of resellers.

The right designer is one that deliver what you want within your budget. When evaluating designers look at their own website and previous work (they should have links from their own website to these) and make a judge for yourself on the quality of their work.

I work in this field so I'll send you a PM with my contact details if you want to discuss in detail.

One thing to bear in mind is what your customers are likely to be accessing the page with. If you are B2B or targeting ABC1s that live in broadband areas, then you are okay with big graphics etc. If your customers are likely to be using dial-up, then make sure the webpages aren't too fat. Nobody will wait for them to download!

And another thing, make sure they will index the site for you in the appropriate search engines/indexing pages etc. (i.e. those that are related to your business - it's not much use having a plumbing website, if you are not listed on plumbers.ie for example).

And another thing, make sure it's readable and not cluttered, and doesn't have too many pages to go through to get to information (like one of those manky flash intro pages dreamweaver monkeys seems so proud of).

Er, I could go on, but it would become a rant!

Hi,

What Questions Does One Ask When Having A Web Page Designed ?

And What Is The Best Hosting Or Site For Same ?

How Do I Know When I Have The Right Designer?.

I Want To Have A Web Page Designed For My Small Business, As I Am Low In Funds Where Would I Locate An Individual To Design A Good One For Me At Low Cost.

Thanks

Patp.

Pat, I posted a similar query here a couple of weeks ago and would like to recommend Dearg Doom to you. He got in contact with me and has been invaluable. I have no connections to Dearg Doom whatsoever but have received a most excellent service since posting my query. We are now going to be online with a new website within the space of a month - this is really something considering the experiences I have had with other web designers - I have spent the last year and a half trying to get this sorted. I will be recommending him to everyone I know. I will pm more details to you.

ney

Hi Pat, I'd recommend going checking out a company called redlemon (www.redlemon.ie). Their website is very nice and they have a portfolio of websites which you can look at. I was in a similar position as you and i really didnt know what to put up on my website. They gave me lots of advice. They also are very well priced especially for the kind of website that they do. They also do graphic design and printing so im sure they can help you with business cards, letterheads..ect too. Good luck with it all.

Back