Web mail vs software mail

tallpaul

Since getting a gmail address over a year ago, I now use it for my personal email needs, so much so that even though I bought a new PC with Outlook Express pre-installed, I have never configured it and used it.

Just wondering what people think of the advantages and disadvantages of both options. Personally I like the convenience of web mail as I can access it anywhere and I don't have to worry about POP3 and MAIL3 settings like I would have to in Outlook...

Any other views?

Most email can be accessed via a webmail interface these days. And you can access gmail via standalone email applications too.

Personally I hate a web interface for email on a daily basis, although it's great if you're away from your computer.

I prefer the gmail web interface for the way it groups the mails in a conversation - whereas in client version they appear in the order they come in and with the sent and received in seperate folders.

GMails webinterface is just better organised than most of the others - Until i used gmail i preferred Outlook Express. Now i would never use it.

But just because you use OE at home doesn't mean you cant use web away.

Gmail all the way. I have 4 other mail addys set up to route to my gmail and am able to respond using the other addresses from my gmail.

Even though the search facility is lightening fast I wouldnt mind a configurable view feature with gmail.

I have 4 other mail addys set up to route to my gmail and am able to respond using the other addresses from my gmail.

You can do this with almost any email client, AFAIK. Certainly can with Entourage, which is my client of choice.

WebMail all the way.

I could be using any one of 4 or 5 different PC's and it's just too much of a pain to know that the exact email I want is sitting on my Hard drive at home.

You can connect Outlook to your mail server using IMAP which leaves the mail on the server rather than downloading it. That would seem to be the best of both worlds. But i've gotten so used to using the web interface I never bother with outlook.

-Rd

If you're going webmail, I would strongly suggest yahoo, its an amazingly designed mail system which operates just like a standalone email application, its very slick indeed. (From inbox you can drag mails into folders, preview panes, keyboard shortcuts, inbox is on one long scrolling page rather than clicking 'next' etc). Comes with 1gig of space as well, not sure why everyone prefers gmail over it - ah well!

Ive got a yahoo and a gmail. prefer gmail for all the other features (2.7Gb of space (and rising),googlepages, calendar, spreadsheet, nicer UI (IMO), nicer search(IMO), all conversations on one thread, chat, draft save, spam filter is magnificent) havent compared the yahoo one to it in a while but gmail is just soooo easy.