Weather Girls Accent

Berlin

The new weather girls on RTE seem to have a strange kind of AA Roadwatch accent these days. Last night's forecast (before the 6.01 news - the real weather people come on afterwards) was for quite a heavy "frawst" although it wasn't so bad for the "sithe". Where do these people come from?

On a related point HRT can also be quite irritating. As can be the seemingly official RTÉ pronunciation of "Ahhh-Tea-E".

I find I'm also irritated by the "oar" TE used by so many of their correspondents. Oh dear, am I turning into a pedantic old fart?

ClubMan said:
On a related point HRT can also be quite irritating. As can be the seemingly official RTÉ pronunciation of "Ahhh-Tea-E".
It's (HRT) becoming hugely over-used where I hang out (large legal office with lots of 'hip' young ladies). I get so annoyed at times when they're speaking to to me, and I feel like saying "yes, I hear you ... I understand you ... continue ... why do you keep questioning me...."?!!!!

This is definitely a female thing, where wimmen dump their regional or born with accents in favour of this RTE/Dublin4 rather grand speak, Ann Doyle is a great exponent of it. People should not be scared to leave the regional behind them (unless of course its Cavanese!). The BBC have made great moves to bring back the Geordies and Mancunians etc - personally I think that I listen less when there is put-on speak - something about being spoken down to I think.
Though to be fair the ones that irritate me are the girls that read out the business news on the Radio at 6.10 pm - I don't know what to make of them.

Best weather girl-yer wan on TG4 who also presents Paisean Faisean. Real 'Irish' accent!

Theres a new guy on AA roadwatch and in fairness he is really excellent. He speaks slowly and distinctly in an unaffected (as far as I can tell) matter of fact manner. Ill post his name here if I can get it.

Gotta agree about the Business News gals. In particular there's one - Emma McNamara - I think is her name...........Christ what an effected accent she has!!

jasconius said:
This is definitely a female thing, where wimmen dump their regional or born with accents in favour of this RTE/Dublin4 rather grand speak,

Don't forget some of us do actually speak like this anyway - not everyone is dumping a regional accent, roysh?

Have to agree with CCOVICH. Also, the weather girls on TG4 just before 7pm are fine things altogether - especially their accents "as gaeilge" ;).

What about yer one on the radio ad "your consensus funds are inspirational" etc. etc., think its an Irish Life ad. Sexy or what !!! grrrr!!

Back to weather girls - Kathy Burke has that weird stage Irish/classy English mix - pity she "ruined" her image with the snobbery in the brides of Frank programme. That said, she was very dignified compared to the lunatic from Drogheda - paint Slane Castle for you will we??

jasconius said:
in favour of this RTE/Dublin4 rather grand speak, Ann Doyle is a great exponent of it. People should not be scared to leave the regional behind them (unless of course its Cavanese!).

I'm trying to imagine Ann Doyle reading the news with a Wexford accent..

Hi ya hons..

Perhaps we should set up seperate forums on AAM for different postal areas ( eg dublin4 etc),or for all contributors to spell their post phoenetically, so we can work out where they are from?:D

Berlin said:
The new weather girls on RTE seem to have a strange kind of AA Roadwatch accent these days. Last night's forecast (before the 6.01 news - the real weather people come on afterwards) was for quite a heavy "frawst" although it wasn't so bad for the "sithe". Where do these people come from?
Its a known fact that these weather people are AA Roadwatch cast offs!

Anyone watching RTE's "Ear to the Ground" just now, where yer man was reporting from NePAL (as in Pal/friend/mate) rather than Nepal (as in fall, call, wall)?

ClubMan said:
Fair enough, but I believe the wall/fall/call pronunciation is much more common, and therefore I would expect it be used in the media. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, as it aired just while I was reading these posts.

We had a geography teacher in school who had one of these accents (in the heart of the bog). She was forever talking about the state of affairs SoMAYlia. And everytime she mentioned it, the class whispered under their collective breath, in their best midlands accent, SoMAHlia. Maybe she was correct but I never heard it pronounced like that elsehwere.

I also had the good fortune to be taught by an ex-missions nun for a year in primary school. She must have had a ball because fifteen years later, like that priest on Father Ted, she was still full of warm yet dull reminiscences of KEENya. Grrr. Probably the correct pronunciation but bloody irritating.

Rebeeca

Back