We can never losr water, can we?

RMCF

I was just wondering the other day about water when I heard them talking about the amount that we waste.

Now I know that it does take time, money and effort to process/gather it, and then store, treat and distribute it, but I'm thinking more of the ability to actually 'waste' it.

Surely all the water in the world is stored under the atmosphere and cannot ever get out? If I leave my tap running it is redistributed and will work its way back to us all, won't it?

And rain water that isn't collected is simply returned to the ground/water table?

And any that evaporates reforms as clouds and then falls again as precipitation?

So is it actually possible for water to 'vanish', or does it just always exist in one form or another, or in one location or another?

Edit:Sorry title is meant to read 'LOSE'

Water is a closed cycle, so all the water the was, is and shall be (barring the Sun going to its red giant phase and scorching the Earth) is here now.

The problem is the vast majority is undrinkable as it's sea water. Then the majority of water that is fresh is actually locked up as ice. So as a percentange the amount that is available to drink is tiny.

It's also not so evenly distributed, some countries have more than others.

The last aspect is that eventually the water will work its way back into the system, but this can take several years in some cases, hundreds if the water is below ground in an aquifer.

Any water shortage will be temporary, so yes you can't lose water, but the immediate and short term effects of having no water would be serious.

Back