WD Passport External Hard Drive

R

rmelly

I'm looking to get a 250Gb or 320Gb Western Digital Passport external drive (Essential or Elite) in Dublin city centre today, or at latest tomorrow. Anyone know anywhere that stocks these?

I've tried Max Burns, Dixons in Jervis, Peats.

Maplin's UK site lists [broken link removed] so maybe they have them here too? Although the website is out of stock on the 250/320GB models.

For what it's worth Maplin are selling off a WD Elements 640GB drive for €132 right now.

I went and bought one of those WD 640GB drives yesterday and when I turned it on, it went 'live' giving me a low lvl electric shock throught the metal bit of the case. Taking it back for a replacement later.

Stick with Seagate/Maxtor (same company) - best drives money can buy.

I would disagree, I have had countless maxtors and seagates fail over the years. Never had an issue with a WD.

I would disagree, I have had countless maxtors and seagates fail over the years. Never had an issue with a WD.

They don't build them like they used to, eh? (bit like everythign these days)

To be fair Maxtor used to be the cheap and cheerful HD manufacturer, but since they were bought over by Seagate a few years back they have improved dramatically in the reliability stakes.

Seagate for me have always been a reliable manufacturer. I bought their drives after reading reviews and tables of which makers were best for quality/breakdowns.

But each to their own. I'm sure every HD maker has drives that fail and so give customers a bad opinio of them.

I went and bought one of those WD 640GB drives yesterday and when I turned it on, it went 'live' giving me a low lvl electric shock throught the metal bit of the case.
Electric shock? 3.5" drives only use 12V. Either you are very sensitive to low voltages or else the PSU was pumping more than 12V through the unit and presumably also blew the drive?

Thanks for suggestions, I've ordered one off the interweb.

Hi
I am thinking of getting this one.
anyone else reccomend it ?
500GB 3.5 USB2.0/FW 7200rpm 16MB - below is the link
[broken link removed]
anyone ever purchased from here ?

Hi - Just bought the one in Argos for 90 Bucks. Plugged it in and it seems to be working fine. 500 GB. and you get the 2 GB Pen drive free. So happy enough.