Ways to avoid Closed-Company Surcharge

ac-invest

Just wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on how to avoid Closed-Company Surcharge. If the profits are invested does that make them exempt?

Also wondering if Forestry profits are exempt. I'm looking to invest in Forestry through my ltd as its tax-free

The only way I'm aware of is to invest profits in an insurance wrapped product, investing the profits elsewhere in itself does not exempt you, any investment would be in the name of the company,

Revenue are focusing on close companies in a very unfair way in my view but that is for another day.

Any chargeable gains are exempt from the close company surcharge. Obvioulsy any income is taxed at 25% with the surcharge adding another 15% onto that essentially.

You should really go back a step and ask why have you accumulated funds in a company structure?

It might be better to just take the hit now and put the money in your own name.

Brendan

You should really go back a step and ask why have you accumulated funds in a company structure?

Well paying 12.5% CT, investing in a suitable life company fund as @Palerider said and then paying 0% tax via retirement relief in due course looks like a more appealing option than paying ~50% tax now (assuming maxed pension contributions of course).

I plan to leave Ireland in the next few months and I think I can get dividends without paying the DWT. Also no tax on Foreign Income in Portugal for 10 years with the NHR Visa. Just so many extra steps but glad Portugal offer this

If you have an Irish company then you will still pay taxes to Irish revenue, CGT n particular, if you leave money in a close company for I think 3 years then the company will be taxed on a deemed disposal.

I think you need tax advice or familiarise yourself with finance act 2018 ( which you can find online )

Revenue are focusing on close companies in a very unfair way in my view but that is for another day.
[/QUOTE]
Ye I looked at the insurance-wrapped ETF's them seemed the only way to do it. I know! Whoever came up with the Closed Company Surcharge should be ashamed of themselves. Such a stumbling block to building wealth in a ltd in Ireland

@Brendan Burgess Personally, I think there are merits in holding a small level of funds within a company structure, if even for cash flow purposes. Any small company is likely to have peaks and troughs when it comes to business, and particularly cash flow, and therefore many need to hold some levels of cash reserves in it. Its just prudent - no different to a personal rainy day fund.
I think the mistake that is made with close company surcharge is the fact that it should allow a small reserve be built up within a company before the close company surcharge kicks in (say quarter or half of a companies annual expenses as a 'cushion'). This could be formally placed in a particular 'reserve' account on the books, and show movements in and out of it explicitly if needed.

There are reasons people can be looking build funds within a company, especially service companies - whether it being taking some time off after a busy project or wishing to retrain or whatever. This is outside the other reasons including the desire to offset capital losses if they exist or avail of retirement relief, if they are close to that age.

Given the move towards the 'gig/freelance' economy, I personally think close company structures should be encouraged to build a small level of reserves to fund the good with the bad, and therefore smooth out income fluctuations.

I have seen many a new IT contractor have a big smile on their face as they experience the 'jump' in salary as a result of the move from permanent to contract positions, and suffer immediate lifestyle inflation as a result, only to come crashing back down when the contract is not renewed and no cushion is available to smooth the transition between contracts.

Thanks @Palerider I'm ok on CGT for the next while but I'll brush up on it anyway. I'll have minimum tax to pay personally to Irish Gov if any and I will be seeking tax advice for both personal and business as well.

Back