Waterproof overcoat

Spear

OK, I got soaked today and discovered that my overcoat is not really that waterproof.

Does anyone know where to get a good waterproof overcoat, which can go over a suit, but does not look too formal? I'm open to shops in Ireland, or even buying online if there was a good recommendation.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

"Jack Murphy" in Clerys do a good selection of rainwear coats

I had a gortex jacket years ago and it let nothing in. I missed it today, got soaked 3 times.

It can be hard to get a neutral colour as these types of jackets are usually very colourful but in this type of weather they are very work appropriate.

Sports shop which cater for mountain climbing and the like are good places to go.

If you overcoat is still in good repair have you considered just getting a waterproof spray. You will be able to pick up a bottle of this in most outdoor shops. You just spray it on the coat and leave to dry in. It is a clear spray and helps the rain to bead off the coat. I use it on my jackets a couple times a year.

If you are looking for a replacement I have one of these in black and find it great. You can get a fleece and attach it during the winter.
BERGHAUS
Long Cornice GORE-TEX® Jacket
Men's.
It is waterproof and will not look out of place in an office or on the top of a mountain. I would also pick up some waterproof spray and use this on the Jacket every 6 months depending on the amount of use.

You can get them in most outdoor stores and I know Great Outdoors have them. Check out the bargain basement there you might get lucky.

Last edited:
When faced with a similar problem the other day, I walked into a shop and bought a golf umbrella for £17.

As an alternative to the silicon-based waterproofing sprays, you could try [broken link removed]. I re-proofed an old trekking jacket (using the hand wash method) and it made a huge difference. You can buy it fairly cheaply on Amazon if you have trouble finding it in stores, as I did.

The BERGHAUS stuff is excellent quality, but not cheap.

When faced with a similar problem the other day, I walked into a shop and bought a golf umbrella for £17.

Had one at the time in one hand, and kiddie's stroller in the other hand. Also, given the rain was going sideways at the time, the umbrella was less than effective