Waterproof membrane in bathrooms

EVGR

I have a query re bathrooms. When a bathroom is fully tiled, walls and floor, is there a regulation to use a waterproof membrane underneath the tiles? Will the tiler put this in?

I presume you are referring to something like Schluter Kerdi or Ditra matting?
[broken link removed]

AFAIK, there is no regulation. The matting is expensive, and very difficult to find in Ireland. I found plenty of places in the UK and US that sell it online, but who wouldn't ship to Ireland. There's a tile place on the Coes Road in Dundalk that sell it, but at hugely inflated prices compared to US or even UK sellers. In the end I just bought a roll of edging (think it was > Eur100 for a 30m x 100mm roll) which I used to ensure that joints etc were well covered.

teddyk

I bought it directly off this gang in the Uk
http://www.riw.co.uk/applications/wet_area.htm
( No association whatsoever with the company. )

Gave them credit card details and they sent it over , took about a week. It is very awkard to put it on the wall if tar backing touches you cannot seperate it , Looks like something out of a cartoon if this happens .
But definately worth it if you get a pin hole in the grout at a later stage. The plumbing fitting in the shower have to come off to fit it .

are you guys not going a bit ott with all this tanking. if its a new house and its properly tiled and grouted, where is it gonna leak?

One pinhole in the grout is enough for the water to seep in behind the tiles and do damage. On top of that when shower trays are mounted on timber joists upstairs in a house it doesn't matter how good you think your tiler is , there is always movement in the timber joists with change in temperature, this movement is enought to crack the grout at the bottom of a shower tray & in goes the water.

Has anyone used any of these tanking kits for showers. Tubs and tiles do a Bal one

I've used a tanking kit (primer, polyester mat etc) in conjunction with Sealux tile trims and sealant to good effect. Having seen first hand how even a a good tile job can fail I think the additional cost of tanking (maybe €200-300 for an average bathroom) is well worth it, especially when tiling alone can cost a few grand. Tanking is essential in a shower cubicle IMHO.

Thank you for your responses. If it's OTT? Well apart from the good answers above, even a new house will be old eventually.

Anyway, I am also wondering if bathroom paint would be enough for waterproofing. Would it be OK to put tiles on bathroom paint?

Or, instead of an actual sheet membrane, can I buy roll on waterproofing?

I would also be interested to hear if anyone has used vinyl wallcovering, welded in the edges and corners to become watertight? Example here:

I'm sure in 30 years time, there will be a regulation that all bathrooms have to be watertight, and the insurance companies will request this.

EVGR,

Yes, you can get "paint-on" tanking kits, but I'm not sure that they are recommended for application over painted surfaces.
Have a look at the Tiling forum over on www.diynot.com/forums
Do a search for Tanking and you'll find plenty of help from people in the trade.

teddyk

Last edited:
The product I've used is by Larsen; this is a "paint" on system; corners, pipe entries and other junctions are reinforced with a fabric. Products like this are designed to receive an application of tiles after completion- paints and vinyl coverings are not.

Back