Waterford airport €5 tax

bond-007

Whats the deal with having to pay €5 in cash to fly from the airport? What excatly is this fee for? Why is this not included in the flights cost at the time of booking? You are not told of this at the time of booking and is sprung on you at check in.

It cost 10 euros to fly from knock airport. Knock call it a development fee.

The reasons for the fee in Knock are on their website see the copy below. i can only assume there is a similar plan in place for waterford airport.
Development Fee

Development Fee (a.k.a. The Departure Fee)

A €10 Development Fee is payable by all departing passengers from Ireland West Airport Knock with the exception of children under the age of 12 years.

Q. What is the Development Fee?

A. The Development Fee is a fee charged by Ireland West Airport Knock to build appropriate passenger services such as Arrivals, Departures, catering, shopping and car parking. The Development Fee is also used to improve aircraft services such as the runway, safety and security systems for safe landing, take-off and efficient management of aircraft.

Q.Why do I have to pay the Development Fee?

A. Passenger numbers have increased 100% to 400,000 in the last two years and are planned to grow to one million in another 2-3 years. The Airport company has to build and pay for the infrastructure and services to meet the needs of both the passengers and the aircraft that fly them. The Development Fee provides most of the funding for this.

Q. Why is the Development Fee not included in my ticket?

A. Most airports charge a development fee but it is included in the cost of the ticket issued to the passenger. Ireland West Airport Knock chooses to charge this fee in an open and transparent manner.

Q. What is the Development Fee spent on?

A. The Development Fee has been spent on the following projects:
Terminal Building: New Check-In and Information Area, completed in May 2003
Departures: New Departure Lounge and Retail Area, completed in July 2003
Car Park: Extra 600 spaces now totalling 1100, completed in December 2003
Arrivals: New Arrivals Hall extension, completed in May 2004.

In the coming 18 months the Development Fee will be spent on the following projects:
Catering Areas: Facilities improvement - phase 1 completed in January 2005
Car Hire: Dedicated space in Terminal and in Car Park completed in January 2005
Car Parking: Additional 500 spaces to be completed by Dec 2005
Catering and Retail: Further development of Catering and Retail Facilities to cater for ever increasing passenger numbers
Apron: Extra parking for 5 aircraft at the Terminal in Mid 2006
Aircraft: Upgraded landing system to reduce diversions in Mid 2006

Q. How do I pay the Development Fee?

A. Payment of the fee is possible at various cash points around the Airport Terminal prior to passing through Security Screening into the Departures Area. We are developing payment systems that include cash, laser and credit cards. We are also looking at the possibility of paying the development fee through our website.

Q. What happens if I do not pay the Development Fee?

A. The Airport reserves the right to refuse to handle any passenger unless he/she has paid the Fee.

Q. How do I make a complaint about the Development Fee

A. You can make a formal complaint to the Airport management in writing to Head of Customer Service, Ireland West Airport Knock using the form provided.

bond-007 said:
Whats the deal with having to pay €5 in cash to fly from the airport?
The last time I had to pay 5 units of any currency in hard cash to the authorities at an airport was the GBP£5 visa fee on arrival in Izmir airport about 15 years ago!

I got caught with something similar flying out of Auckland a no. of years back. Lucky I still had some currency on me, there had been no pior warning. I was well annoyed at the time :)

I think this type of charge by airports is very cynical. Despite what the knock airport page says, it is not transparent, as it is not made clear to you at the time of purchase that this charge exists. I also think the airports pitch the amount high enough so that they get some money, but low enough so that most people will just pay it so they can be on their way, note the veiled threat about missing your flight:
Q. What happens if I do not pay the Development Fee?

A.
The Airport reserves the right to refuse to handle any passenger unless he/she has paid the Fee.

ronan_d_john said:
Charging for the use of their facilities is a scam?????
It is when they spring it on you at check in. Why is it not in the ticket price to begin with? That i would not object to.

I think it's because it's a bone of contention between the Airport and the Airline ... something like it was added on after the airport and airline had agreed terms ... and the airline then doesn't want to add it on the ticket price ... because it makes their fares look more expensive and also forcing the punters to hand it over to the airport authority makes them think the airport is expensive rather than the airline.

I think there's a similar situation at Kerry airport too ?

Back