Water unfit to drink, boil notice in place

bond-007

My local water supply has become unfit to drink and a boil notice is in effect. This a community water scheme and not a LA supply. I only became aware of the boil notice this morning by talking to a neighbour. He said the notice was in effect for quite some time at least a few days and a notice was on display in the local post office which I do not frequent.

Questions:

1. Is it sufficient to post the notice in a post office? Would they not have to call to each house with a copy of the notice?

2. Is there anyway I can find out why the notice is in effect, in that I want to find out what the contamination is? No one locally is willing to give anything away.

I have been ill for the last week and I am curious to know what is going on.

Also would the LA be obliged to supply drinking water from trucks? Or would I be right in thinking they owe us no water as they don't supply in the first place?

Thanks

If you are a member of rural group water scheme you should find out what the name of the scheme is and who the secretary is and ask them to keep you informed about the status of the water.

You should also contact the relevant local authority as they are obliged under the European Drinking water regulations to bring these non compliant rural group water schemes up to standard.

In the meantime if you are concerned about the water you could arrange to get it tested at a private laboratory.

I doubt that everyone has the resources to have water privately tested.

Also I would see it as bad form not to notify each householder as opposed to a notice in a post office that people may not see as in the OPs case.

I would imagine that the HSE would have to be informed of unfit water. A call to them might be in order. I would also think the local authourity would have to supply drinking water whilst the water is unfit unless they honestly don't know about the water situation in that no one told them.

If you want to find out more maybe a trip to the doctor might be in order as I am sure he/she has been busy dealing with the sick as a result.

Thanks for that.

I rang the LA concerned and it was them that issued the boil notice last monday as samples contained e coli bacteria. They are retesting tomorrow and they will take samples from my taps for testing. Provided they are clear the water will be deemed safe.

Back