Water taking ages to heat up

bigchicken

Hi,

I've recently moved into a (brand) new apartment. I'm finding that the water is taking a long time to heat up. There is an immersion and also gas central heating and the problem is the same no matter which I use.
With the immersion, there is no bath/sink button just one button to turn it on.

In previous places i have lived it takes about 40 mins for the water to heat with the immersion. I'm finding here that after 40 mins the water is hot enough to have a shower but its not roasting. For example i don't need to use the cold tap at all, just the hot tap because its not that hot. Also there isn't enough water for 2 (reasonably quick!) showers.

If i leave it (immersion or gas) on for about 2 hours it seems okay but i wouldn't have expected it to take that long?

There are an awful lot of taps going to and from the tank so i'm wondering do they need to be tweaked. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing??

Thanks.

I've recently moved into a (brand) new apartment. I'm finding that the water is taking a long time to heat up. There is an immersion and also gas central heating and the problem is the same no matter which I use.
With the immersion, there is no bath/sink button just one button to turn it on.
Just for your information this thread and another one that it links to outlines how water is usually heated in a cylinder using either the immersion or the central heating:

Immersion tank not heating when central heating is on

Do the radiators heat up OK? Do the pipes into the coil in the cylinder get hot as per the thread above?
There are an awful lot of taps going to and from the tank so i'm wondering do they need to be tweaked. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing??
I doubt it. Don't go messing with them if you don't understand what you're doing anyway.

It may be that the thermostat is set incorrectly on the immersion unit. On the immersion on the cylinder there is an light metal cap. from what I can remember this can be removed by a single screw. Then as far as I know there is a dial underneath to set the temperature, this should be set to 65-70 celsius

It may be that the thermostat is set incorrectly on the immersion unit. On the immersion on the cylinder there is an light metal cap. from what I can remember this can be removed by a single screw. Then as far as I know there is a dial underneath to set the temperature, this should be set to 65-70 celsius
Worth checking but this only applies to immersion heating of the water. The original poster suggests that the water is taking a long time to heat whether the immersion or the central heating (which heats the water via a coil in the tank as per the thread I linked to above - and not via the immersion element) is used. Changing the immersion thermostat will not solve the problem of heating the water via central heating as far as I know.

Hi Bigchicken

I have a Santon stainless steel hot water tank for a pressurised system and I have the same problem. You probably have only one element if as you say there is no Bath/Sink option. As a result your element is at the bottom and has to heat all the water to the same temperarture. This takes 2 - 3 hours for me. The Bath/Sink option has a dual element - using the sink option just heats the upper porion of the water in the tank. If the tank is copper it may be possible to fit another element - in my case alas not.

In my parents house they have a mini cylinder along side the main one.
Are you sure that's for water/water heating? I've seen posts on other forums where people talk about a secondary mini cylinder which turns out to be something else altogether.

Back